Chapter Fifty

Charles's POV:

'baby', he hummed softly but didn't budge, 'Alex', he hummed again, this time creaking his eye open just slightly, 'why are you waking me up when we are clearly doing something much more important?', I smiled, he was cuddled to my chest and I was playing with his hair, nothing that was really out of the ordinary but nonetheless remained very special to us, 'Alex it's noon and I have plans for us', this seemed to peek his interest as he opened both of his eyes and looked up at me. 

'where to?', I smirked, 'surprise', 'I don't particularly enjoy those', 'you will this one', 'okay, I trust you', after a bit of a struggle about leaving the cuddles and the bed behind, we each got up and got dressed, I had both of our outfits prepared for us, they were casual and fitting for our spot, but slightly fancier than every day wear for the special occasion. 

I was fixing my hair when he walked out and I almost grabbed half a jar of gel in my trance, 'you look... so good', I was breathless, but in a good way, a way that reminded me of the adoration I carried for him in my heart, 'you don't look too shabby yourself', I noticed a small blush on his cheeks as he walked towards me and started finishing my hair for me, 'I love taking care of you like this, doing your hair, fixing your bad ties, just adding a touch of me into your everyday life', 'you can do my hair every day if you want, I'd be a mad man to say no', 'alright then, I will'. 

After finishing, we both collected our things and left, he locked up the house and I started the car, making sure I hopped out to his side so I could open his door, which earned me a kiss to the cheek, I went back to the driver's side and we began driving, 'is this trip the reason you've been acting really suspicious?', 'can you put the detective skills aside and let me surprise you?', he nodded, a soft smile resting on his face. 

'with me starting college next semester and just starting something new, today feels important', 'I'm really proud of you for that', 'thank you, it's something I didn't think I would really get to do my way', 'we're together now and the world is ours, you can do anything you set your mind to', I sighed, 'don't make me crash this car so I can kiss you right now', 'we need the rest of our lives to be together', and that was convincing enough for me. 

The drive wasn't long but since we had left late, the evening had begun to set in the sky, I parked the car and we left, I grabbed his hand and we walked down a trail of small glowing lights, 'if it weren't for the beautiful atmosphere, I would assume you brought me to a park to kill me', 'your murder documentaries are ruining me', he chuckled and we continued walking, once we reached the end of the trail, his eyes softened and turned to me, 'no way Calder', I smiled, biting my lip. 

'no wonder you were acting weird, this must've taken forever', 'two weeks or so, Simpson helped a lot', his grin widened as he began to walk around, 'this looks exactly like my garden back home, you even got the bench I cry confessed to you on', 'I wanted us to maybe make a few new memories in this beautiful setting', he rushed towards me and hugged me so tight I could lose air, 'ah you're the best human ever', he pulled away and walked towards the bench, he sat with a heavy sigh, 'I missed this, even if that place was hell, this garden was my heaven, until you came along at least'. 

I blushed and settled beside him, 'so you like it?', he turned to me quickly, 'I love it and I love you', 'I love you too', after he finished touring the small setting, we sat on a blanket and had our meal, which was simple and consisted of sandwiches, 'I insisted on making the food so with my skills it's not much', he shook his head, 'I love them', I ate absent mindedly, staring at his happy face and bright eyes and thinking of all the things I wanted to say. 

When we finished eating, I began collecting everything back into the small basket, that's when it happened, the small item fell out of my pocket and onto the blanket, with my striking luck of course, the box fell open right in front of him, his jaw dropped slightly, and we exchanged moments of silent awkward eye contact, 'Charles I don't know what to say to you', his expression was still in a clearly negative manner and a bit of panic rose to my chest before I realized how he probably misunderstood the meaning behind the piece of jewelry.