6

The girl’s voice on the other end died. Jameson came into the room. I let out a shaky sigh.

          “What happened?”

          “Skylar,” I whispered. “She called and then something happened.”

          “I’ll go get Frank.”

          Jameson went off into the other room. Skylar’s scared voice played like a looping tape recorder in my head. I began thinking about where she was telling me. The location she may or may not be at. Jameson came back and Franklin was close on his feet. I followed Jameson into his office.

          “Was Skylar telling you were she was?” He asked as he closed the door.

          “Yes, but I couldn’t think of where. She said that she saw a lot of fields and drove over train tracks. Then the road became gravel afterwards.”

          “There are hundreds of train tracks running through Lansing County.” Frank said. “It’d be impossible to find her within a short amount of time.”

          I sighed and rested my head in my hands. “We gotta do something! We can’t sit on our asses. For all we know, she could be dead by now and I am not letting another one of those girl’s dying on my hands.”

          “And we aren’t going to.” Jameson said reassuringly. “She said there’s a whole bunch of fields, right?”

          “Yes.”

          “Then that shortens the look by a lot. I mean, we could send out a search party.”  Frank shrugged.

          I ran my hands over my face. “Like you said, it’ll take us forever to find her. For all we know, she could be dead.”

          “Shut up, Foster!” Jameson slammed his hands on the table. “We will find this girl whether you believe it or not!”

          I pushed my chair back and walked over to my desk and destroyed everything. Other officers were staring at me with questionable faces. My phone began to ring. It was the same caller I.D as before.

          “One more week, Foster,” The distorted voice said. “She’ll be dead by the time you get here.”

          “I’m getting to finding wherever the hell you are. Those girls better not be dead.” I replied back demandingly.

          “Are you in a room alone?”

          “No.”

          “Get to one. Let me know when you’re ready.”

          I got up and went into a dark room and turned on the lights. “Okay, I’m ready.”

          “Talk to the detective, sweetie.”

          “Mark,” Skylar’s voice begged. “He’s going to kill me. Please, you have to help. Bella’s at death’s door.” Skylar’s broken voice caused tears to form in my eyes. I heard Skylar scream through the phone.

          “One week. No less.”

          The phone died. I slammed fists into the table. We need to get on that location quickly. I walked out of the room and went to where Jameson was. “Do we have a location?”

          Jameson sighed and shook his head. “Frank’s still looking into it.”

          “I gotta tell Skylar’s family.”