2.2 - Christmas - Market

Start from the beginning

'Woah! Hey! Calm down! Fine! It doesn't have to be a date if you don't want it to be!' He interrupts me.

'I didn't say that.' I mumble.

'I'm confused.'

'Dates... Make me... Anxious... And I tend to make a fool of myself and embarrass myself. I don't generally get second dates. And I kinda... maybe... on some level... like you... or possible have the potential to later...?'

He laughs at that. But not the kind of laughing like he's just been told a joke. No, it was more like an "Awwwww you're so cuteee" kind of laugh. Or maybe I'm just hoping so.

'Well... In that case. I'll pick you up at 6 PM. But it's not a date. It's just two people, hanging out, enjoying a Chrismas Market while chatting and getting to know each other more.'

'I scared you off, didn't I?' I pout.

'No, of course not! I'm just trying to make you the most comfortable possible. Obviously, you're going through some stuff right now. But for some reason, you're being more receptive with me that your friends. So if going out with me will make you feel better than let's do it! And if calling it a date will make you anxious, then we won't call it a date. Regardless of whether it is or isn't a date.'

'So it is a date!'

'Darling, it's whatever you want it to be. Now come on, you have an hour and a half to catch your friends up with what's happening, kicking them out, and then get ready just in time for me to pick you up!' He says, making me chuckle lightly but smile widely.

'Kicking Jamie out will be the hardest. Pretty sure she'll insist on helping me get ready. In which case I might be a bit late.'

'It's okay!' He laughs. 'Just nothing too fancy. I want a Christmassy evening with Lucy, not Lucille.' he says that with a posh accent. 

'What's that supposed to mean?' I laugh.

'I don't know, isn't Lucy short for Lucille?'

'I don't know? I've always been just Lucy. Anyway. Don't worry about it. I don't do short notice fancy. If you want to take me to something fancy I need two months notice.'

'Noted.' He laughs. 'Now go! I'll be there at 6:30 PM.'

'Alright! I'll see you soon!' 

I hang up and run to the sitting room only to find Jamie coming out of the kitchen with two glasses of wine. She hands me one, and I look around and the boys are nowhere to be found.

'Where's Danny and Ro?' I ask.

'Kicked them out. You're going on a date with the handsome brunette from yesterday, aren't you?'

'It's not a date!'

'Excuse me! He's taking you to a Chrismas market! Do you realise how romantic that is! It's definitely a date!'

'Can you stop calling it a date! It's not a date! I don't want to be all anxious and freeze on him! I actually kinda like him! I won't be able to be myself if I'm anxious and I freeze! Hell, I won't even be able to talk! We'd be just silent the entire time! He'd be bored and leave me!'

'I know sweetie! That's what the wine is for! Now let's find you something to wear!' She says pushing me into my bedroom.

She sets her glass on my dresser before raiding my closet. As expected, she shows me first the only thing that I never wore: a dress. The only reason that it's there is that she bought it for me in hope to wear it on a first date. But I kept finding reasons not to.

'I'm not wearing this!'

'Why not!! It fits perfectly! It's red! It's Christmas! And you look so beautiful in it! Come on! I didn't buy you the dress so that it would gather dust in your closet!'

'No! Not tonight anyway! It's too fancy! I'll stick to pants thank you!' 

She finally gives in, but on the condition that I let her curl my hair and do my makeup. I'm not the type of person who puts makeup. I don't even know how to, besides some concealer under my eyes, mascara and lipstick, I don't know anything else. I don't even like it. But we've been friends long enough to trust her with my make up, because she knows what I like and dislike, and she knows how to make me look as natural as possible. Once hair and makeup are done, someone knocks on the door. Shit. It's Niall. I'm not ready yet.