o n e

"Hey, Madi, wanna hang out tonight after work?"

"Of course, Liana."

Madison and I haven't been able to hang out much since graduation. I've been busy with work and applying to colleges. I want to go to the University of San Francisco. They have a good acting program.

"Okay, I'll meet you at your house after 5?"

"Yeah, my shift's over at 4:30."

"Alright, have fun with your coffee."

I work at a coffee shop. Locally owned, of course, but it paid well. Usually, I'd work six-hour shifts.

"Oh, I will. I'll make you a pumpkin spice if you'd like."

"You already know." she laughs.

"Okay, I'm at the shop. I'll have to let you go. Love you."

"Love you too."

I hang up and walk into Coffee Central. Opening the door, I can smell the scents of autumn. As I headed behind the counter, pumpkin, maple, and cinnamon were getting stronger. I take a deep breath in through my nose. Strong arms wrap around my waist as I go to grab myself a cup. I smile and blush, knowing it's my boyfriend.

"Aaron," I say, tilting my head to the right.

His warm breath hits the side of my neck, making me shiver.

"You smell good."

"Thank you."

He plants a kiss on my neck, then lets go of me.

"How's your sister doing?"

"Lindsey?"

"Yeah, is she okay?"

"She has a stomach bug."

"Oh."

His sister, Lindsey, is eight years old, and when I was over at his house a few days ago, she threw up on me. It wasn't the most pleasant thing, but I have experience with kids. I used to babysit as a job. A bunch of moms in the town love me for it.

"I'm going to hang out with Madi after work today. I wanted to let you know if you wanted to go out."

"No, I'm hanging out with Jack and Bryant."

"Okay."

I go home and take a quick shower before changing into some sweats and a tank top. Walking into the kitchen, I'm met with the lovely face of my mother.

"Hi, Momma."

"Hey Li, is Madison coming over?"

"We're going to watch movies if that's alright."

"Perfectly fine. I have to go back to the hospital anyway; there's a craniotomy at seven. Before that, I have to check in on a few patients."

My mother works in our local hospital as a neurosurgeon. It's pretty cool how she managed to have a kid while going through college and medical school. Not to mention being the best single mom out there. Her job is incredible. Although she can't tell me the name of the people she works with, she does let me know what surgery they'll need to get.

"Cool. So you won't be home till late?"

"I won't be coming back tonight. I have rounds tomorrow morning at 5."

"Alright," I walk over and hug her, "bye, Momma, have a good surgery."

"I'll try."

She grabs her bag and then makes her way to the front door. Opening it, she finds that Maddy is about to knock.