Chapter 16

Evelyn

Sitting in the hospital room, I close my eyes as I sit on the window seat. Only opening them when I hear Hope Buckley arguing with the desk lady. I sigh, standing from the window to walk past Grey, who still sits in his seat, his father having left just a little over an hour ago.

    "It's ok, I told you the Buckley's are welcome" i begin, seeing Hope, Keegan, Orson, and the same girl who had claimed to liking me and kissed me in her sleep the night before. The same girl who was here, in a hospital, on her birthday. I smile, even though I kind of wanted to avoid her and what she may have to say about what happened the night before. "Happy birthday!" I exclaim, rushing forward to hug her. "Did you get my card?" I ask, pulling away from her as her siblings walk past me and into the hospital room.

    "Yes, which reminds me" She says, her pause making me wonder if she was about to bring up the kiss. "Jackson was asking me where you were" She says, and I nod. "You didn't tell him" She didn't ask, because she already know why I didn't tell him. If I told Jackson, then he'd want to skip class and be here too, and then I'd be worried about when Brooklyn woke up and found him in her room. No one wants to wake up from a coma to a stranger in their hospital room... other than the doctors, that is. But still, I feel bad for excluding him, where as here Alana was, a human life line.

    "Right" I say. "I've been complete shit with responding to his texts" I say, sitting in a waiting room chair as she sits in one beside me.

    "You've been through a lot, Ev, no one expects any more from you. But he is gonna find out why you're not in school so often, and the newspaper may write about this"

    "So many people have been texting me" I tell her, shrugging. "But I feel like none of it matters, because non of the texts are for her" I say, sitting back. She sets her hand on my thigh, I look at her immediately.

    "I get it" She tilts her head. "I guess, I don't really, but I understand. And I'm always here" She says and I nod, smiling. What was I freaking out about? If she hadn't said anything yet, then there's a good chance she was just dreaming and thought I was someone else. Or maybe... I was dreaming and none of that had happened.

    Thinking about the whole, thing, made me remember the time Alana had first told me she was bisexual, and I'd been so surprised, but I told Brooklyn, she was less than shocked.

    "You said you had earth-shattering gossip" Brooklyn whines, having always said my class was far more fascinating than hers.

    "You act as though you knew" I say, and she nods.

    "I did"

    "You did not" I smiled, knowing with Brooklyn, I didn't do it often.

    "Come on" She says, and I know she's about to stress her point. "She checks out every girl that passes her, and whenever you wear that black v-neck sweater she gave you for christmas she stares at your cleavage whence thinks no one's looking"

    "Brook!" I'd exclaimed, slapping her arm and she'd actually laughed.

    "Hey, I didn't say it wasn't a good stare-" She laughed harder as I'd thrown a pillow at her.

    Her laugh seems to echo in my head. God, I miss her laugh. I haven't heard it in a long time. I look around the room at all of the Buckley siblings, laughing and talking to each other. Most people wouldn't want people to joke so close to their comatose sister, but I believe my sister would love to know that they were here and that even though she wasn't in perfect condition, they were here making her a part of them. I smile, just watching them all, wishing with all my might that this could be what Brooklyn wakes up to.