Chapter 16

We run to him.

   "Sing!" I scream as I hold the man's head on my lap. Ester, Vivian, and Zane all sang at once, different songs but the same beautifully hypnotic voice.

   The man's face was obscured by a hat and blood came from his chest, where I saw something silver rise and fall. I pick it up and saw it was a fired bullet.

   "Stop. He's fine now." I said.

   He groaned, something nagged at me. I'm oddly familiar with him. I yank his hat off. "Dad?!"

   Let the fun begin. Zayden sang. About time.

   "We have to go. All of you." Dad said urgently, his tone that of one used to give commands.

   "Uncle Max, what are you doing here?" Aliyah asks.

   "No time. The nine of you here?" Dad leapt to his feet (a little too swiftly for a man of his age) and did a quick head count.

   "Mel's dad, sir. Your bag." Kyle had a black backpack in his hand.

   "Ah, yes, give it here. Kids, we must leave." Dad was dead serious.

   "Why?"

   "Melody we have to go." Dad yells.

   "We have to know." I shot back.

   "There are bad people coming for all of you. They know about your powers."

   "I have no idea-" I began.

   "Knock it off Mel, we need to go."

   "Uncle, what the fuck is going on?" Dmitri demanded.

   "Trust me." Dad pleads, his brown eyes beg me to listen to him.

   What do you think? I ask.

   Follow him.

   That settles the inner debate I had. "Where?"

   "Santa Fe. We must move quietly and quickly."

   I nod, "Guys, let's go. Trust me, not him."

   "Run back to your cars as fast as you can. Be swift and do not stop for anything." Dad whispered.

   One by one we climb down and ran, reaching the cars in record time.

   "Before we leave," Dad touches Zane's car and it turns silver. We all gape at him. Then he changed Kyle's blue hummer red, and my white SUV to black.

   "Dad?" I whisper, shocked with the whole situation.

   His smile is sad, "You're not the only one with secrets. Kyle, Aliyah take Zane's car. Vivian, Zane, Dmitri, Declan take Kyle's. Mel, Ester, and Jordan are with me in Melody's car." Dad commandes us.

Again.

   "I won't be away from Mel." Zane grabbed my hand as if to prove his point.

   Declan got the other, "Me neither."

   Dad seemed to realize they wouldn't be changing their minds. "Same plans apply. Mel, keys." I let go of Zane's hand, reached in my pocket and threw my keys to Dad. "Boys, very back." Declan and Zane obeyed. "Ester, Jordan, middle." They followed. "Melody, shotgun." Fun. Dad hopped in, slammed the door, and started the engine. He backed out of the woods and got on the highway with Kyle and Dmitri trailing us.

   "Declan call Dmitri and Aliyah. They need to hear what I have to say." Dad ordered.

   "Sure" Declan paused, murmured a few words then said, "It's on speaker."

   "Aliyah, Vivian, Jordan, Ester, Kyle, Dmitri, Declan, Zane, and Melody. None of you are who you think you are, you're different, special. The nine of you have been divided into three unique groups."

   Jordan jumped in, "Melody, Aliyah and Kyle. Declan, Dmitri, and me. Finally Vivian, Ester, and Zane."

   Dad smiled fondly, "Exactly. As you all know, every group must a have leader. Jordan, Ester and Melody are the leaders of their groups.

   "Jordan, your group can do much more than understand animals. Esters group can do more than sing-heal. Same goes for Mel's group. The powers you've unlocked are barely the tip of the iceberg.

   "Fairies, elves, and trolls and such aren't real right? Vampires don't exist. Witches, please. That's a lie. Everything you have been told, from bedtime stories to movies you watch, are much more. There are many magical creatures and supernatural beings. Their numbers are too vast to keep track of each one.You have to believe me, because that's what you all are. Beings that shouldn't be real. But are.

   "Jordan, you guys are shapeshifters. Able to shift from human to any animal of your choice. Though, your main and true form will always be werewolfs. Ester, you all are angels. Pure beings with unforgettable voices. When you get your wings you'll be able to fly. And Melody, you guys are mermaids. When people told you that you swim like a fish, they could not be more right. Tails will come."

   There are your answers little wave.

   Yip. It's official. My life is over.

   I openly stare at my dad. I'll give a little history lesson. This is the longest I've ever been with the man.

   He first impregnated my mother with Peter. Then Jade. And lastly me. After I was born he left my mother, too selfish to give me a younger sibling. Sure he sent tons of child support money and showered his kids with expensive gifts, but that doesn't make up for being a crappy father. He's paying for Peter's college, Jades art classes, and funding the school swim team. When we got our licenses he bought us brand new cars and gave us unlimited platinum's. But, as the legendary J-Lo once sang, love don't cost a thing.

   I've wanted a father, not a sugar daddy. Through the chorus of my life, I have only seen him twice. The first time I was ten and in the hospital with chicken pox(thanks to Dmitri). Then again a few months back at my sweet sixteen. Each time had been an awkward brief five minutes. Each time made me loath him even more than I already did.

  "Uncle Max, I'm so lost. How do we have these powers? How am I a dog? How is any of this real?" for the first time, Jordan sounds like the child he is.

  I took off my seatbelt and turned around to a crying Jordan. I reached and pulled him to me. I put him on my lap and let him have his break down. It's easy to forget his age but he's still a child. I rocked him in hopes of letting him know that I'm here, that he's not alone.

   From the back Ester started singing and Jordan's sobs ceased. He was asleep.

   "What'd you do?" I'm not afraid of her power, more of the fact that I don't know what's she's capable of yet.

   "Put him out of his pain, it's what angels do. He's not dead, just resting." Dad explained.

   "Ester, do the same for me?" I need an escape.

   "Me too." Zane said.

   "Make that three." Declan adds.

   "Sure thing." She began singing, her beautiful voice filled the car and I eased away.