I shook my head. "No, it's fine. I just wasn't expecting it."

A smile formed on his lips. "Well, I was just wondering if you had an answer?"

I stared at him. Honestly, as I mentioned before, I wasn't sure if I liked him in that way or not. However, I couldn't deny that he's good-looking and a nice guy, so I figured going on one date wouldn't hurt, right? I mean, it's not like he asked me for something serious, just a date. One date.

"My answer is yes, to one date," I said and smiled. "I'm actually going to a Halloween party at my friend's place, would you like to go with me?"

"That sounds fun," he said. "I would love to go with you."

"Then I'll text you the details."

He smiled and grabbed the rag in my hand from me. "Sure, looking forward to it. You can head home now, I'll see you later."

"Thanks."

The day of the party, I arrived early at Everett and Luka's place to help Ava with the decorations and setting everything up. This year, I decided to dress up as a vampire, because why not? For my makeup, I did a smokey eyeshadow look, deep red lipstick, and also added some fake blood dribbling down from the corner of my mouth. I also did some fake blood splatters underneath my eyes to add a nice touch. My outfit was all black: a black crop top and black high waisted jeans and I wore black knee-high combat boots. Honestly, I felt pretty powerful in this costume.

"Wow, you went all out, huh?" Ava asked me when she saw me. She dressed up as a sexy nurse and had glittery eye makeup done. "You look good!"

"Thanks. I bet Luka's loving your outfit, huh?" I said to her and she blushed.

"As a matter of fact, yes, he is," she said, beaming. "I also love him in his matching doctor outfit! Anyway, here." She held out a roll of orange crepe paper streamer to me. "Let's get these streamers hung up!"

After a while, when we finally finished the decorations and getting the snacks and candies into bowls, the guys arrived with the drinks. "Hey, Nova," Luka said, pushing up the fake glasses he wore on his nose. "You look awesome!"

"Thanks!" I said. "Where's Everett?"

"Here," Everett's voice rang out as he walked in. I blinked at the sight of him. He wore an oversized, slightly poofy white shirt with a black sash tied around his waist and a pair of dark pants. His hair was done the way it always was, slightly messy in a way that looks good. Since the shirt was loose and a V-neck shape, the top of his chest was visible, his collarbones sharp and on display for everyone to see. For me to see.

"Um." I swallowed slightly, barely registering that Ava and Luka were heading towards the kitchen, leaving us alone. "What are you supposed to be, exactly?"

He stared at me before holding up a fake sword. "I'm a pirate."

"Oh." I nodded. "Cool. You look... cool. I guess."

He didn't say anything for a moment, and just as I started to panic internally, wondering if I shouldn't have said anything at all, the corner of his mouth lifted as he smirked.

I stood, frozen, as he stepped closer to me, my eyes widening. He stopped just in front of me, looking me up and down before speaking. "You don't look so bad, either."

"Um, thanks?" I said but it sounded more like a question. Also, my voice came out more like a squeak, and I could feel my heart rate accelerating at the feel of his body heat from how close he was to me.

I stood still, waiting for him to move away but he didn't. My heart only sped up that much more because of that and I couldn't meet his eyes, but I could feel them staring down at me, burning holes into the top of my head.