Chapter 2 carnival night

"Hey my mom said I could spend the night here." I heard Garrett say to my brother. I could feel my knees go weak as he said that.
"Hey Nikki wanna go to the carnival tonight with me and Garrett?" My brother asked while I was celebrating that it was summer break.
"Sure."o said and got my high tops on. I could feel a pair of eyes burning through me. I looked at Garrett and saw him smile at me. I blushed and smiled back.
"I'm getting in the car!" I shrieked and ran out to the car.
"ok ready to go?" My brother asked while Garrett got in the passenger seat.
"No dip Sherlock. because I got in the car because I wanted to sleep in here." I said sarcastically.
"Ew!" I screamed.
"What's wrong?" Garrett asked immediately. I pointed to the corner.
"There's underwear over there." I said holding back my gags. but you don't get it it was all crusty and brown.
"Oh that's mine give me it." my brother said reaching his hand back.
"Ew no there's probably a dead rat in there or something."i said scrunching up my nose.
"Just give me the underwear."
"No." I said folding my arms over my chest and shaking my head.
"Whatever." he said. "were here."he grumbled.
I shot out of the car and slammed the door. I pulled sanitizer out of my purse and put half of the bottle on my palms.
"Ok let's go." i said and walked to the edge of the boardwalk. I loved living in ocean city. I took in the sea air. I felt warm hands grab my waist and then I kicked him in an awkward place.
"Ow." he groaned in pain. it was Garrett.
"Oh my god I am so sorry. I I thought you were my brother." I said and put out my hand to help him up.
"Well thanks at least for helping me up." I blushed
"Sorry." I said.
"Its fine." he said a little pain in his voice. "wanna ride the Ferris wheel with me?" He said pointing to it.
"Well.. BEAT YOU THERE!" I said running to the Ferris wheel. he put his hand on my waist and put me behind him.
"Cheater." I said and got in the Farris wheel line.
"Tickets please." I saw a young lady say as she smiled.
Garrett gave him the tickets and smiled. I stepped in the cart.
"She's a keeper." I heard the lady whisper to Garrett.
"She's not mine." he said.
"That's too bad." she said frowning. "Ok the ride is starting. I'll make it extra bumpy just for you." she whispered the last part to Garrett.
We got up to the middle and I lunged forward. I screamed and held Garretts shirt and rolled it up into a ball in my fist. I could hear and feel him laughing.
"Afraid of heights?" He asked.
"No. afraid of dying? Yes." he laughed again.
"Stop laughing. you're scaring me because you're rocking the cable car."
He laughed again.
"Seriously stop!" I yelled as I let go of him.
"Fine I'll stop." he gave in and without noticing I leaned back in his chest.
I sighed. I heard him sigh and he touched my hand. it sent my hand on fire. but in a good way.
"Wait." I said as I took my head off his chest. "you have a girlfriend don't you?" I asked.
"Yeah." he said and looked at his hands.
"Oh ok." I said and looked at the lights of the town and the smell of the water.
"What's her name."
"Hannah. she goes to our school." the school sl@t?! The captain of the cheerleading team?! The one that made me trip and shatter my arm. I was fuming with rage. but just said "ok" coldly.
"I know what you're thinking. that she's an egoistical sl*t"
"No." I said lying through my teeth. the Ferris wheel reached the ground and I climbed over him and ran as fast as I could to the bathroom.
"Nikki!" I heard him shout my name a few times. I ran into the bathroom and started crying.
I think I was crushing on Garrett but to find out he was dating her. of all people Hanna white. ugh I hate her guts. I walked out of the bathroom making sure the coast was clear and I sprinted to the thrashers fry stand.
"One small fry please" I asked the older looking guy and handed him my money.
"Thanks." he said and I shoved a fry in my mouth.
"Hot!" I said and spat the fry out into the sand.
"I know I am." I heard Garrett say. I smacked his chest and kept on walking down the boardwalk.
"Why?" I asked.
"Why what."
"Why are you dating" I gulped. "hannah. you love her don't you." I said while my voice was shaking.
"No I don't."
"Than break up with her." I said.
"I can't. "He said almost in a whisper.
"Why not?!" I demanded.
"Because her fathers the gym teacher and is in charge of the football team. if I break up with her than. I won't be able to make the team." he said the last part quietly.
i say down on a bench and put the empty fry can in the trash.
"You will make it. just try your best. I know you can do it. I. i. I believe in you." I said the last part in a quiet hushed tone as the boardwalk people quickly trickled out of there.
"Nikki." Garrett said quietly.
"Yeah." I felt my cheeks getting hot.
"You're beautiful." he said and looked me in the eyes
"I-" I was cut off by his hands grabbing mine and he crashed his soft lips into mine.
"Nikki." My brother said. I quickly broke the kiss."ready to leave." I nodded and got up as we silently walked to the car.