61. unveilings & sweet endings

Start from the beginning

I smiled to Harper, "Harper, this is my boyfriend, River.  River, this is Harper, my friend from school."

Harper flashed a smile at him, "It's a pleasure to meet you, River. Renée mentioned you're an artist. I definitely can't wait to see your work today."

Kaleb swallowed the donut he was chewing, nodding, "Absolutely. Me too."

River smiled warmly, "Thank you, that means a lot. Why don't we all hang out after today?"

"That'll be great, though," Kaleb agreed and beside him, Harper nodded.

Content that River clearly wanted to be friends with my friends, I let he and Kaleb talk while I chatter with Harper.

*

"As you know, this party was something put together by the staff of this place," the manager spoke. I rarely ever saw the manager of the bakery. Twice or three times, maybe? But she was a nice woman who always had a smile on her face. "I'm glad to see that everyone's having fun, and I'd like us to get to the most important part of today so everyone can go back to eating, drinking and havung fun generally. "

Everyone burst into rounds of applause while I squeezed River's hand, earning a smile from him.

"Layers is small bakery... for now," the manager added, a smile on her face, causing people to chuckle. "But my sister, the owner of this place who passed away a year ago, always wanted the bakery to work on a much bigger scale. Apart from the good service, I figured that the next step to achieving this goal was to improve our online presence and create more artistic mediums."

"I asked Skylar Jacobs, who has always been here ever since the beginning of Layers, to handle this and as usual, she didn't disappoint me."

I looked to Sky who looked back at me, and we shared a smile.

Shortly, two other workers came out with a board and a projector. I was getting excited. The smile on the manager's face was a proud one, I knew for a fact that River had  created something amazing, and after a countdown from five, the wrapping around the board were taken off and everyone erupted in claps and cheers.

I looked up at River who had a smile on his face. "You didn't do that," I said to him.

He had a smirk on his face and I wanted to kiss it off, to show him how much I  appreciated his talent.

The board was a designed billboard. It was a simple design, but complicated in its own way, I wondered how he did it.

"That's not all!" The manager chuckled. "We have a website now! And you can order right from home— " more claps and cheers interrupted her. "If it's your first time ordering, delivery fee is free, plus, you get to have a few dollars off your order," she wiggled her eyebrows.

The websites front page came up on the projector and it was an adorable picture of Sky smiling, cakes and boxes of donuts around her. The next slide were pictures of treats, and the third slide— wait. That was a picture of me. I had a smile on my face as I attended to a customer.

"That's a really pretty staff with the cutest smile," River leaned into me, whispering in my ear.

I looked at him in surprise, "You were working on a website for the bakery? Different from your personal one?"

"Surprise," he nodded, grinning.

"When did you take that picture?" I asked him, referring to mine.

"Definitely at the perfect time when you were unaware and looking all cute," he ran his fingers through his hair. "That's how I knew you liked great in pictured, and that's what boosted by confidence before I asked you to be my model that day. Plus, we need more photo shoots."