7. names & strange feelings

I feel a little rush, I think I've got a little crush on you
- Yuna, Usher, Crush.

"I don't get it," I was upset as I pushed my math text away, "Why can't I just be good at my subjects?"

"Rae—"

"No, I feel like I was way better with numbers when I was younger," I sighed as I pushed myself back on my bed. "I put you through a lot."

It was Tuesday night and Kaleb was over at my house. He had literally just spent over an hour going over our math homework with me.

"No, you don't," he said as he laid on the bed, resting the side of his face on his palm. "I mean, if you think so, then know it's not a problem for me, Rae, I've told you before."

I nodded slightly, then he said, "So, tell me, how did work go today?"

To be honest, the job was boring. I know I'd only worked for a short while, but the feeling of boredom and loneliness that washed over me while I stood behind the counter was insane. Once in a while, a few interesting things happened, but... it was just that. Once in a while.

I wasn't so used to it, spending after school days at a job and feeling bored. Usually, I would spend them with Kaleb, doing one thing or the other. I wanted that back and I could almost feel myself concluding that I would only be working at Layers for a week.

"I do miss having you around after school," Kaleb said. "How about the girl we met the first time we went there?"

"Sky?" I shrugged. "She's usually a really busy person at the bakery. I think she's worked there the longest and so, she oversees everything going on in the bakery."

"Oh, that makes sense, and that reminds me, Carter was talking about you today during practice."

"First off, why do you players call yourselves by your last names, and second, what did he say?"

He shrugged, "It's just something we do. And I can't really remember much."

"How can you not remember?" I chuckled.

"Because he was talking about you when he had the chance to and I can't remember what he said at different point in times but hey... I do remember him saying you had a great ass and I also remember telling him to shut the fuck up."

"But I have a great ass if I do say so myself," I chuckled and Kaleb rolled his eyes, "Rae, that's not the point. The point is, he shouldn't be talking about your ass about at all," he licked his lower lip, "Look if—"

And then, I totally zoned out. It was sweet when Kaleb got protective. I knew he was only looking out for me, but sometimes it was unnecessary. It was a different case if I liked Logan and Kaleb didn't like him, but it wasn't so.

See?

Unnecessary.

He had nothing to worry about.

"Do you understand?" I heard Kaleb ask.

I had no idea what the fluff he just said, but I nodded, "Yeah, of course."

"Good," he smiled, looking proud and contented.

Doofus. If only he knew.

"On the other hand," he raised a hand to the side of his face, "I have a pimple."

"Where?" I asked, my eyebrows furrowed and he brought his face closer so I could see, "Here."

"Oh wow," I said distractedly as I reached out to immediately pop it.