Chapter 17: Cabin Life

Hanji's POV

I was almost due- just due in a few days. But it was perfect timing, for today is the day we move into the cabin. When the baby was getting too big for me to do heavy-lifting and walking around, Levi told me to stay in the apartment with Isabel and Nanaba while Farlan and he worked on the cabin. I haven't seen anything about it, but it was time to see what was going to happen in this new cabin.

Just like the time with our first apartment together, he carefully wrapped a blindfold over a my eyes and guided me with so much caution. I smiled with such joy, trying to think of all the possibilities of the cabin. 

Levi took the blindfold off and I was blinded at first. "Welcome home."

I gasped gently when I was greeted by the natural look of inside the cabin. The once-covered in cobwebs and dust cabin was now cleaned and brushed over with new wood. Everything was redone. Begone to all the rotting wood- for it was all replaced with dark wood. Furniture was there, fully brand-new and clean. When I stepped on the hardwood floors, there was no creaks or anything. Since Levi was preparing everything, of course everything had to be perfect.

"Levi..." Was the first thing I said and I grunted as I walked around.

"How do you feel about it?"

"It's beautiful..." I say gently, continuing to walk around and wincing. 

"Careful." Levi grabs onto me and held me firmly. "You're overworking yourself. Sit down and catch your breath."

Smiling softly, I nodded and did what he wanted me to do. I sat down on the soft cushions of the chair, feeling it squish under me. "Thank you..." I say, closing my heavy eyelids. "It's really beautiful here... thanks..."

Levi took a seat next to me, holding me carefully. "Anything for you, Hanji. Anything for you and the baby. She's coming soon- oh, once you've rested, I'll show you the nursery for her."

"That sounds beautiful..."

*   *   *

A few minutes passed by, and I walked up into the nursery with Levi holding me firmly. The stairs didn't creak or groan under my steps. Reaching the end of the hall, there it was- her nursery. Levi and I agreed to not use pink as the basic color. I never liked pink as a child, so why would we decorate the room pink if it's not her favorite? 

The walls were painted a pale blue color, knowing it's a good neutral color for our first-born. The baby crib was a dark wooden color, and had a stuffed animal inside it with a white blanket. Etched on the white blanket, there was an iris flower on the corner with her future name: Iris. 

On the far corner, there was a dark wooden rocking chair with a blue seat cushion. Next to it, there was a dark wooden shelf with stuffed animals and children's books. Perfect for us to rock Iris to sleep and read her a book. Near the closet, there was the dresser for her baby clothes and her changing bed. Everything was ready for use when she comes. 

In the center of the room, there was this huge, tan-ish rug that felt soft. It would be a great area for Iris to play- and soft enough to ensure she wouldn't get hurt that easily. I chuckled softly, knowing this was all to Levi's logic. He was too overprotective of me and our Iris. He was just that kind of guy.

"Nice tour of the cabin?" He chuckled softly as he tucked me in our bedroom. "Farlan and I worked so hard on it. We even made a guest house for those two if they ever want to stay- which they are. Hope you don't mind it."

"I don't mind it." I kissed him and yawned.  "I think Iris is gonna have fun with her uncle and aunt. Oh, and is there room for Nanaba there?"

"Of course. Couldn't leave her behind, now could I?"

"Thank you..."

Levi nodded his head gingerly, smiling and kissing my forehead. "So... your science career... what are you gonna do about it?"

My mind hummed gently, thinking about it all over. "I was thinking... I'm gonna be a scientist in the biology field. I'm also gonna teach other science institutional schools. Hope you don't mind it... do you?"

My eyes searched Levi's face for a disappointed reaction- but I saw no sigh of that in his eyes. "I'm proud of you, Hanji. Do what you want to do. I won't ever get angry over what you want to do, okay? And besides... I think Iris would have a lovely time having a scientist as a mother like you. She would excel in science classes in school. Maybe even excel over you."

I chuckled softly, smiling brightly and thinking of our little girl being all smart like me. "I would love to see that. Although, we can either home-school her or just... when we're both working, we can take her to and from school."]

"Let's wait until that time comes here. For now, she's gonna come soon."

"Then rest. We got ham tonight- and Isabel and Farlan are settling in the guest house at the moment. And yes, we are gonna have apple pie tonight. Just rest, love." Levi bids me goodbye with a kiss on my forehead and walked off to the kitchen.

*   *   *

I could smell the ham from in the kitchen, and it smelled so good. A sharp pain vibrated throughout my body, forcing me to groan. It felt so bad and hurtful. My breath grew short and jagged as I tried to breathe normally. 

Uttering his name, I felt that she was already coming. "L-Levi..."