No Other Choice

The Vortians and the Sobrekt were nothing alike.

For starters, Vortians weren't naturally violent and only resorted to it in extreme circumstances, such as the organic sweep in which they stood their last ground, only to lose. They were a race of scientists and engineers, dedicating every second of their lives to create new technology and do science-stuff. You could call them intergalactic nerds if you'd like.

Sobrekt, on the other hand, only needed the slightest provocation to send them into a murderous rage, and they'd defend themselves and their brethren with fangs and claws. They weren't as much into technology unless it involved security or hybridization. They were warriors at heart.

So Larb bid his time to study the layout of HybGen's HQ, the security levels on each area, the guards' shifts, and overall digital blueprints he found in that scientist's datapad. The information about Project Zimkro was on the upper levels of the facility, in a computer on the laboratories. This area was where the newly-obtained DNA samples of different creatures were analyzed to check their compatibility and pick which one would be used.

Who knows? Maybe he'd even find the hybrekts in development.

He finally made his move at night, taking advantage of the shift change between the guards. Using his PAK-legs, he climbed through the outside of the facility, additionally using active camouflage to avoid being spotted by the kurokran flying around the place, looking for intruders. From there, he made his way inside by making a hole on the roof with silent lasers and into the ventilation ducts.

Along the way, he managed to take a peek into the rooms below and learned a bit about the hybridization projects. He saw scientists in white coats, most of them kryvtors (though he saw a few sobrekt as well), running around the lab with blood samples, having coffee breaks, he even saw some eggs being moved around in floating trolleys.

Finally, he found his way to the computer he was looking for, which was located inside an empty area of the lab. Larb scanned the area to make sure there was no one around before dropping down. It didn't seem to have any sort of security system; guess the sobrekt were really confident about their external security, or they knew no intruders would dare show their nose around here lest they wanted to lose it. Logging into the system was a bit too difficult, but he had it worse with the Vortian computers.

He found many documents regarding the current hybrekts the Irkens already knew, most notably the indokuro genome. It mostly had DNA of something called 'indoshiro*' and...

Larb nearly choked on the doughnut he was eating. The bloody animal possessed kryvtor DNA! This might explain why most indokani he had seen were kryvtors.

As he examined the rest of the hybrekt documents, even downloading the information into his PAK to present to the Tallest later, he finally found the file he was looking for.

PROJECT ZIMKRO

Diet: Omnivorous.

Av. Lenght: 17 meters.

Av. Height: 5.6 meters

Genomes used:

-Comedelacerta volcrum reptilis*. The DNA sample was taken from a healthy female. Traits gained: will swallow up the pilot and keep him in its stomach.

-Nigrum venandi reptilis*. The DNA sample was taken from a healthy male. Traits gained: loyalty to one pilot only, cunning intelligence, dark coloration.