58. party plans & busy weeks

Start from the beginning

My head snapped up when I heard a familiar voice say, "There you are!"

"Kaleb? What are you doing here?"

He raised an eyebrow, confused. "You called me."

"Me? No, I didn't."

"Yes, you did."

I took out my phone from the front of my apron, my eyes on him as I wondered when I called him, until he burst out laughing under my scrutiny, "You didn't call me, silly."

I rolled my eyes. "So, your goal was to make me look like a lunatic?"

He reached to ruffle my hair, and I slapped his hand away as he laughed.

"What's your problem?" I queried.

"Uh, nothing. "

"No, something is definitely wrong. Why on earth did you come in here wearing two different socks, Kaleb?"

"Wait, what?" He looked down at his shows and his eyes widened. "Shit, I didn't realize."

I facepalmed. "I'm embarrassed for you."

"Hey, you're my best friend. Nothing wrong in dealing with the second-hand embarrassment."

"You're a mess." I countered.

"You love me."

I started to chuckle when Sky cane along, "Hey, Renée, do—" her gaze fell on Kaleb. "Oh hi! How are you?"

"Very well, thank you," Kaleb smiled back at her.

"Renée, do you know if River is coming over this evening?" Sky asked me.

"I have no idea, but I could ask him if you want?"

"I mean, it'll be an excuse for you to text your boyfriend, right?" She wiggled her eyebrows.

"I'll tell him," I laughed softly.

"I have to admit, I'm still surprised," Kaleb stated, watching me.

"About?" I looked at him briefly before texting River.

"Months back, you couldn't even feel this way for a guy, and now you're all boo'd up."

I chuckled and sighed dreamily, "He makes me so happy."

"That's what's important. How have I never met the great River, though?"

"Well, if he decides to come, you could meet him. It'll be great."

"Then I might have to come back. I have to get Harper home."

"Okay, sure— Wait, did you say Harper?"

He nodded, "Yeah, as in, that Harper," he looked back and I followed his gaze. There Harper was. Seated. A cute smile was on her face when she waved at me. I smiled back, waving in response.

I looked at Kaleb. "So... Harper, huh?"

"What? No. Don't be assuming anything now. I was leaving school when I saw her looking agitated. Apparently her mom said she had to wait an extra 2 hours to come get her, so I offered to take her home."

I smiled teasingly, "Yeah, of course. This sure looks like her house. You can tell me if it's a date, Kaleb. "

"Jeez, no. I was going to stop by for a smoothie even before I knew I would have to take her home."

"Fine. I do believe you," I told him. "So, you want a smoothie?"

"Two, actually."

"Ooh, one for me?" I grinned.

"No. For Harper." He rolled his eyes.

"Wow. Totally not a date," I muttered loud enough for him to hear me.

"Oh, come on. I'm not about to get a smoothie for just myself since I literally brought her, when I should have taken her home. Mom taught me better than that."

"Well, you have a point there," I said as I fixed two cups of smoothie and handed them to him, picking up the money he placed on the counter.

"Thanks, you're the best," he said before walking away.

My phone buzzed, indicating I had a text. It was River who had replied.

~Am I needed?~

~I guess so. Sky asked.~

~And you need an excuse to see me. I'm on my way.~

*

It was a few minutes past six and I started packing up to go home. My gaze landed on River who was laughing at something Sky had probably said.

Ugh, that damn dimple.

"Hey, are you ready to leave? I'm taking you home," River stated as he came by the counter.

"Yep," I nodded. "Wait, one second." I grabbed my backpack and the cup of smoothie I'd gotten for myself as I worked.

"Do you feel better today?" I asked River as soon as we got into his car.

He placed a soft kiss on my lips, "I feel brand new. You're aware of the party Saturday?"

"Yeah," I nodded. "It's a really busy week for us. "

"Yeah?" He took a sip of my smoothie. "I can imagine there's a lot of baking."

"Mhm," I nodded, taking the cup from him and taking a sip as well. "I'm already so tired thinking about it. Plus, I'm thinking I want to get a dress."

"I mean, I could always to with you to get a dress, but I bet doing all that baking will drain you. Do you have to do it alone?"

"Nope," I shook my head. "I get to work with Zuri and Nolan."

"Well, look at the bright side then. Working with people will make the work faster, and I'm sure it'll be fun. Plus, think of what you might benefit from it. You're a hardworker, babe, but just don't overwork yourself."

I let his words sink in. I thought of working with Zuri and Nolan. They were pretty fun people to be around. I thought of the extra pay, which of course would be worth it, and I suddenly felt better about it all of a sudden.

When River pulled up to my house, I flung my arms around him. "You're the best."

In response, he placed his lips over mine softly before kissing me hard. I smiled into the kiss, feeling light headed, before he pulled away with a big smile on his face.

*
Authors Note

What was your favourite part of the chapter?

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow me.