4. The Dreaded Truth 🧠📆

🎵 songs that inspired me for this chapter 🎵

daylight - 5 seconds of summer

all of the stars - ed sheeran

your love's like - sabrina carpenter

love me - yiruma

prosecco - patrik jean

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- sienna garcia --

"These are for you, Sienna, I hope you like them," He says, presenting a bouquet of freshly wrapped pink roses and white baby breath.

I take a sniff, reveling in its fragrance. He reveals a silver chain from his pocket and spins me around, laying the piece above my collarbone. The touch of the metal is cold but my heart is warm. I pick the pendant up and see the numbers 02.07.17 engraved on it.

"It's beautiful," I whisper and tears well up in my eyes.

I spring up, beads of perspiration dotting my forehead. My chest rises and dips in unsteady patterns and my grip on the blanket is vice tight.

It felt so real.

My room is pitch black, so I grab my phone and use it as a torchlight. My feet lead me to the toilet and I fumble for the light switch. My body seems to know something I don't because I have no idea what I'm doing in the toilet but some part of me knows exactly what I'm doing.

I open my mirror-cabinet and reach for the hard-cased jewelry box. I think I'm searching for a necklace...

Amidst all the silver, a pendant stands out. I think it's in the shape of a galaxy; a crescent moon is connected to a sphere of colours- purple, blue, silver, everything. Just like how they depict the outer space on the television.

With trembling fingers, I pull the pendant out and flip it to the backside. The numbers 02.07.17 are staring back at me.

Tears flow incessantly down my cheeks as I curl up against the headboard. I'm shivering and perspiring all at once; I want to scream but instead, a pain in my heart consumes all of me I can't manage more than a whimper.

I manage baby steps towards the window grill and undo the hinge with my remaining strength. A sharp breath of cool evening air slaps my face and ruffles through my sweaty hair as I lift the plane up and usher the night air into my room.

The salty tears evaporate with the wind, leaving my cheeks sticky and moist. The moonlit sky is a dark shade of sapphire, cloudless but the stars are outshone by the dire condition of light pollution.

My cell informs me that it's currently 01:45 in the morning and I'm persuaded to return to bed but decide to first brew a warm cup of green tea to help soothe my edgy nerves.

Once that's done, I set them aside on my bedside stand on put on a meditation podcast: "Let go of any lingering thoughts and let your feet feel heavy..."

My eyes stare at the ceilings blankly as I bask in the pre-sunrise atmosphere.

The sky outside is a shade of pale blue, and a circular ball of orange glory is on its way up the horizon. I bring my hands up into my field of view, and I get the strangest sensation.