Chapter 13 - A Bolt from the Blue

Song of the Day:
Singularity
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seongmin had forgotten how much she hated fire drills.

A few moments earlier, she had finished talking to Reflection, who had thanked her and led her back downstairs. She had met back up with Rabbit and J, and was just about to head back to Hoseok and Jin's house, when suddenly the room they were in was plunged into darkness. The blue light above the entrance door lit up, and a blaring alarm sliced through the tranquility of the still air.

Seongmin looked around wildly, unsure what was going on or what to do. A deep seated fear rose up within her at the sound of the alarm, clawing at her chest. Ever since she was a kid, the sound of any alarm had given Seongmin horrible anxiety, not to mention the urge to crawl under a table and claw her ears off to escape the sound.

She suddenly felt a hand clamp down on her shoulder, and nearly jumped out of her skin. She looked over quickly, and saw J, a serious look on his face.

"Come with me, now," he said, voice slightly louder than usual so Seongmin could hear him over the sound of the alarm. She nodded, seeing his somber state. This must really mean something serious, she thought, a chill settling throughout her entire body at the thought.

J pulled her aside and had her duck down behind one of the empty display cases in the back of the room, gently brushing a strand of hair from her face and giving her a small, reassuring nod before rushing back out to join the two other heroes. Seongmin couldn't help but peer over the base of the case, watching tentatively through the glass.

The three heroes in the room were at the big screen in the front, and Seongmin saw Reflection zooming in on a flashing red dot on the map not far from their current location. J rushed over to a lever on the wall, switching the sound of the alarm off, though the room remained dimmed and lit only by the emergency lights.

A few seconds later, camera footage from the outside of the hero base flickered to life on the screen, and Seongmin watched a dark blur flicking in and out of existence on the sidewalk outside. The screen suddenly flashed green, gray and white in a glitch-like pattern, before the image returned covered with a spiderweb of cracks.

"Damn it!" Reflection shouted suddenly, slamming a hand down onto his desk. "He's back, the little-"

Whatever choice words the hero was about to spit out were cut off suddenly as the screen inside the room burst open with a flash of light, the smell of singed wiring, and the sound of breaking glass. Seongmin ducked down behind the case again, covering her head like she would in an earthquake, only peering through the glass again when the sound dimmed.

Standing on top of the hero desk was a man Seongmin had never seen before, wearing red pants and an open leather vest revealing a highly toned upper body. Dark, narrow eyes looked around the room, a smirk plastered on thick lips. Black, slightly disheveled hair fading into a dark golden color at the tips was swept to one side so his forehead showed. His hands seemed to be flickering in and out of existence with the same glitch that had flashed across the screens, and Seongmin figured out his power pretty quickly as a result.

"Hey there, boys. Glad to see me again?"

"Celestial," Reflection growled from the floor, not sounding glad in the slightest. "What the hell are you doing here again?"

Celestial, as he had been called, placed a hand over his heart in mock offense. "How rude, Reflection! I've only come to say hello to my old friends, of course!"

Rabbit grunted as he pushed himself off from the floor, and Seongmin's eyes widened at the sight of a large shard of glass buried in his arm. "Somehow this seems a less than friendly welcome," he said sarcastically, gesturing with his free hand at the glass scattered on the floor.