Chapter 7 - Code Red

Song of the Day:
Boy in Luv
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   Seongmin had had enough.

   After heading inside after the interaction with J, she had turned to go to her desk, when she almost ran into none other than Chihun. Seongmin immediately felt her face fall when she gave him a small smile but it wasn't returned. Chihun walked by her, heading to his own desk.

   Seongmin could hardly stand this. It had only been a few hours at the time, but this was her best friend, and he seemed hurt. She felt she had to at least try to make amends.

   You didn't do anything wrong, she reminded herself. Even so, Chihun not even bothering to send a glance her way was painful. She wasn't sure what to do.

   So she had waited, unsure of herself, hurting a little more every time she was ignored or shot a look by her friend. Slowly, she began to get annoyed as well as sad, and eventually she got so fed up that she decided to do something about it.

   So the moment they got off work, a few uneventful weeks later, Seongmin walked right up to Chihun's desk and put a hand, slightly aggressively, on a stack of papers on his desk.

   "We need to talk, Chihun."

   He said nothing, but sent a glance up to her nonetheless, which was about the most contact they'd had since she had almost run into him. His previously warm chocolate eyes now held a bit of a cold, dull look, as if said sweet had been chilled and left without its original shine. The sparkle in his eyes was gone, and it hurt.

   "Why are you ignoring me, huh? Was what happened so offensive to you that you're never going to speak to me again? I told you the whole truth, Chihun, and if you're not going to believe it, that's your own problem, but we shouldn't break away from each other entirely over something stupid like this!"

   Seongmin was close to tears at this point, and she cursed herself, trying to stay strong and make her point rather than break down like a child.

   "I just can't understand why you suddenly would make something up like this, Seongmin."

   Chihun. The first words he'd spoken to her since he'd left her in the hallway all those weeks ago. Seongmin looked up, saw his disheveled brown hair and blank eyes, and she broke. A tear ran down her face as she looked down.

   "Why won't you just believe me? Why does this have to be like the stupid narwhals?"

   "Oh, don't bring up the narwhals, Seongmin. We both know they don't really exist."

   "Yes they do, and you know it!" Seongmin suddenly shook her head rapidly. "This isn't even about the stupid narwhals! Have you not seen the news at all in the last few weeks? Reports of supernatural beings running around the city left and right! Legend, Chihun! How have you not noticed?"

   "I don't trust much I see on TV anymore, Seongmin." Chihun sighed and ran a hand through his messy hair again. "Look, why don't we just put it behind us, okay?"

   "How do I just leave something like this, Chihun? You haven't spoken to me in weeks!"

   "I know, I know. It's kind of dumb that I've been ignoring you, I just didn't- didn't really know how to react."

   "No, you certainly did not," she said, crossing her arms.

   "Awe, come on. I'm trying to be sincere here." Chihun stuck out his bottom lip in a cute little pout, and Seongmin wrinkled her nose.

   "I hate you. You know my only weakness."

   Chihun laughed softly, standing up. Seongmin was struck again by how much taller than her he really was, she practically had to crane her neck to look at his face. Honestly, if she'd run into him on the street in his upset state, she probably would've turned and run the other way: with his powerful build and size, he could be intimidating.