VI

That night I was to be one of the side narrators along with Paget, David, and Benjamone. It was five minutes before it was time for us to start and only now was I finished with my costume. I was wearing the exact same thing as Paget except mine was purple where hers was pink. I was slightly nervous as I stood slightly off to the right of the stage waiting for the other actors and for my que. But through all the bustling noise of backstage, and of Carlotta warming up her voice, I heard a deep and eerie voice whisper through the crowd "You'll be perfect..." at first I just brushed it off, but immediately after those words were spoken they were followed by a name. My name. This voice was so hauntingly beautiful that it sent a shiver to run up my spine.

As we started the opera everything was going fine for about ten minutes before a booming voice was heard echoing throughout the theatre. All of us cast and crew members had quite the educated guess as to whom it was. And when my cousin, who played the silent role of the page boy, spoke up with her thoughts Carlotta immediately insulted her before walking to the left side of the stage to get a squirt of her throat spray. After a minute or so everyone calmed down enough for us to continue with the opera, but not for long. Carlottas voice soon made a loud croaking sound, similar to the sound a toad makes. She made this sound a couple more times before quickly running off the stage. The next few minutes were a blur to me though because I was forcefully pulled off the stage and dressed into my costume for the ballet in act three of our production of Il Muto.

All of the dancer's that were in this scene then basically ran onto the stage to half set up our props. Fortuately for my part I didn't have a prop, so I was just twisting and twirling in the middle of the stage when all of a sudden I was knocked to the ground by something. Looking up from my spot on the ground I saw the body of Joseph Bouquet hanging by his neck from the catwalk, twitching slightly. Then without warning the rope holding him was loosened, and he fell in a dead heep in front of me. I was literally speechless from the scene that was playing out in front of me. The only thought that was racing through my mind was my brain telling me to look up. And when I did I saw a glimpse of the dark shadowy fingure otherwise known as the Phantom of the Opera.