Chapter 9

J u l y

Leigh dipped her toe in the shallow creek water as it rushed by, the shock of the chilly water shooting up her leg. She gasped and pulled her foot out, then began to laugh to herself. She dipped her toes back in, this time a little less surprised by the freezing water. She giggled as she jumped in with two feet, water drops splashing around her. The cold water spraying her legs and face was refreshing on such a blistering day. 

Laughing was heard behind her, where Kitty was swinging Helen around in her arms. Their mother told them to play at the creek for a while, though she didn't give a reason why. She had been nursing their father all morning long, who had been bed-ridden the past few days. His breathing had become clogged and wet, and he could barely talk without coughing. 

The girls were highly concerned, but they were positive it would pass. The doctor was going to see him that morning, anyway. 

 "Come try the water, Kitty!" Leigh laughed mischievously, flicking her hand over the water to splash her sister. A few droplets landed on Kitty's leg and she squealed. "It's real niiiiice." 

"No, it's freezing!" She hissed, but couldn't help but chuckle a little. Leigh tried an even bigger splash, this time drenching the rim of Kitty's dress. "LEIGH!"

"Ha, scared-y cat!" Leigh snickered, then paused for a moment. "I mean scared-y Kitty!" She laughed even louder, jolting her head back as she held her stomach. Helen, still in her sister's arms, began to giggle too. 

"Scared-y Kitty." She sputtered, showing off her small baby teeth as she laughed. Kitty shook her head at them. 

"I am not." She mumbled. "Fine, watch me." Quite swiftly she set down Helen on the grass and walked toward the water, grabbed her skirt with her hands. She stared at the water for a second, imagining how cold it might really be. 

"Come on, Kitty-cat." Leigh taunted, watching her in amusement with her hands on her hips. Kitty scowled at her, then took a big breath. She slowly slid her foot from the grass into the water. She began to shiver as her eyes widen. 

"Oh my-" But she was interrupted by Leigh splashing her in the face with ice-cold water. Kitty gasped, angry at first, but then laughed as she stood drenched on the edge of the creek. Leigh and Helen both began to laugh, and Kitty sloshed the water at Leigh with her hands. They both laughed uncontrollably as they fought each other with the splashes of water, soon enough both of them were soaked in creek-water. Helen clapped her chubby hands together as she watched from the grass. 

"You're wetter than me! I win!" Kitty hollered, cupping her hands as she splashed. Leigh shook her head furiously. 

"Am not!" She argued as she chuckled. Kitty smirked, right before she tackled her sister to the bed of the creek. Leigh screeched at the top of her lungs as she hit the water. In a moment their hair was dripping wet and their dresses clung to their bodies like suits. "Well, now we're both equally soaked." 

Before the shenanigans could carry on, the girls were distracted by a voice coming from the woods. A familiar voice. 

"Kitty, Leigh!" Henry. Kitty smiled as she looked for him behind the trees, but Leigh was instantly disappointed. They were having so much fun without him. 

Suddenly he appeared out of the woods, but he seemed panicked as he sprinted towards them.  

"Henry, what's wrong?" Kitty asked, quickly getting to her feet and out of the creek. Henry stopped at the grass, leaning over to catch his breath. His face was paler than the white shirt he was wearing. 

"It's-" He took another breath as the girls waited in anguish. "It's your father."

~

So this is where our story starts to go downhill....

-Meg