Chapter 1

A p r i l

It had only been two weeks since the stone had been launched into Gus Moor's eye, and since Leigh was sent home by her raging teacher, and since she had been spanked with a wooden paddle three times before being sent to bed. The Moor family, luckily, was quite forgiving (even Gus brushed it off despite his new black eye) and they didn't do anything but accept a reluctant apology from Leigh. 

    "Leigh, what do you need to say to Gus?" Ida had said the day after the incident, standing by Leigh's side on the Moor's front porch. Gus was holding a package of ice to his bruised eye, and his mother, Alice Moor, stood with him and smiled at Leigh almost too cheerfully for someone who's son had been assaulted. If it were any other family's son that Leigh attacked, her whole family would be in deep waters. 

Leigh cleared her throat while giving her mother a side-eye, then she hesitantly spoke:

"I apologize for... for hurting you yesterday Gus." Her voice broke at his name, quieter than a pin drop, as if it were a stab to the heart to utter his name. Ida nodded to Mrs. Moor, who nodded back. Truthfully Ida was just apologizing through her own daughter, and Mrs. Alice was accepting it through her son. 

Gus smirked at Leigh and then glanced at his mother, who's expression had suddenly changed to a scornful one. Gus tucked away his smile quickly. 

"It's alright, Leigh. Really." He chirped. "I'm sorry for insulting you. Maybe you can play ball with us some time?" Ida was pleasantly surprised by this invitation, but Leigh barely bothered to comment on it. 

"Yeah. Maybe." Muttered she. After the mother's chatted for a moment, they left the Moor's abode and were on their way. Ida, as usual, corrected how she apologized: ("You should use his full name, next time." "There won't be a next time, I'm sure.").

Leigh truly did hate saying sorry. She only did it if someone asked her to, and even when she did it was always a reluctant apology. It really was one of her worst flaws.

Back to where I was when I started; The Marlow family, along with three of Kitty's friends (Clara, Elizabeth, and Lindy) took a day trip to the meadowy fields on a bright Sunday afternoon, just after church. It was the first trip to the fields that spring, which was always a long-awaited tradition of the family. Albert would bring his trusty banjo, which he could play dozens and dozens of his own songs on, and Ida would pack a huge picnic full of sandwiches, salads, and sweets. But the absolute best part of the trip was enjoying the first days of the warm sun - skipping around in the grass and playing games in the clear air. 

It was the first year they had invited anyone outside their family, but Kitty wanted to share their adventures with her friends so badly that Albert couldn't resist to invite them. The group of girls was by far Leigh's favorite of Kitty's friends. Although Kitty would usually avoid her young sister at this time, the friends highly admired Leigh's spirit and would like to have her around for fun. Kitty only put up with it on occasions such as those, but never at school. 

Kitty, her friends, and Leigh sat in a circle on the picnic blanket at the top of the hill. Ida was setting up the lunch on the second blanket next to them, and Albert was playing his music for little Helen, who was hobbling around on her toddler legs. The girls had been discussing the winter's events, but Lindy (who was quite loud and highly outspoken) said abruptly:

"I hate the talk of winter. And look around: a beautiful spring day! Let's discuss the warmth." All the girls quickly agreed this was a better subject, especially Kitty, who couldn't stand the darkness and coldness of winter.