So much for a great start to senior year.

------------

Just my luck.

I had every class with Cal. Even Lunch! It made sense since we were in all the same AP or Honors classes. Still, I wish I had one class without him. Maybe it would make this whole moving on the thing a little bit easier.

I decided that maybe it was time to move on or at least get over Cal. Maybe we just weren't meant to be together, but we were supposed to be in each other's lives. I guess that just meant us being in the friendzone. Which sucked, but I would rather be friends than nothing.

At least I had Riley in a few of my classes. Thankfully we also had the same lunch hour which was even better. We sat in her car drinking slushies and sharing random snacks we brought from home.

Liam had our same lunch hour, which I assumed he spent with Cal. Mason and Ty had the earlier lunch which kind of sucked. But I think Liam said something about them trying to switch, but who knew?

Fortunately, all of us all had Senior English together as our last period of the day. I had to admit I wasn't mad about it. All of us together in a class, at least it would be entertaining. The worst part about it was that Natalie was also in the class. Something about her taking extra classes over summer to get ahead. I kind of just blocked her out after that. Oh, Noelle was also here. So the class kind of became a battle fo the exes sort of thing for Cal. Hilarious.

I shrunk down in my chair more as Noelle continued to shoot daggers at me across the room. This was not what I needed added to the list of sucky things today.

Jeeze will she ever get over it? Or at least direct it at Natalie?

I felt Riley nudge my shoulder. I looked at her waiting for her to say something but her eyes just darted towards the door. I sat up straighter as I watched the fine specimen walk through the door.

He was tall and toned. With the most amazing blonde wavy hair. He had deep blue eyes with a bright smile. He looked like a Hollister model but also had a Luke Hemmings sort of vibe going for him. After looking again, he even had a lip ring. I had to admit it was kinda hot.

"I would love nothing more than his attention," Riley nodded as she eyed him taking a seat across the room. I couldn't help but nod in agreement.

He sure was handsome. I couldn't deny it.

"Close your mouth you're gonna catch a fly," Liam whispered behind me.

I closed my mouth remarkably fast and turned to face him. I rolled my eyes and gave him a dirty look. Before turning back around I caught a glimpse of Cal who was clenching his jaw. He must have seen me checking out the new guy.

I turned back around with a small smirk crossing my arms together. Good. Let him, he moved on already so why shouldn't I?  It was like the girl followed him everywhere.

"Alright, class listen up! Welcome back, I hope all of you had a great summer. To begin, this course we will be splitting off into pairs," Mrs. Taylors announced while Riley instantly turned to smile at me. "But there is a catch. I have already paired all of you together".

Instantly there were groans all throughout the room. I didn't care who I was partnered with. Well, actually I did care a little.

"These partners will peer-review your papers, give you new ideas for topics, and be your go-to person if you miss class," she continued.

"Riley Daniels you will be with Liam Parker," Taylors announced. I heard Riley give a sigh of relief. Well, at least she had a good partner.

"Tyler Anderson- Olivia Brown. Noelle Gallager- Ethan Tate." At least Cal and Noelle weren't partnered up.

"Callum McCormick," she paused while I caught my breath. "Natalie Rodgers."

OF COURSE!

I had to admit I was a little disappointed. At least I could still be partnered up with Mason. That would be good. He loved English. I would always have him review my essays if Cal couldn't. They were usually my go-to guys.

"Kennedy Parker," she looked up from her paper to meet my eyes. She gave me a small smile before continuing, "Hayden Smith."

Hayden Smith? What the-

I looked around to see who it was, and my eyes landed on the confusing deep blue sea eyes staring back at me. I mouthed "Hayden" while pointing my finger suspiciously at him.

He nodded back with a small smile and I replied with a wave. I let out a small sigh of relief before turning back to Mrs. Taylors. So I got partnered with the new cute guy. At least that was a plus. Although I did hope he was good with English. After all, I was still trying to beat Cal for valedictorian this year.

"Now one of your partners will come up and grab this sheet of paper from my desk. It has a list of questions for each of you to answer to get to know each other better. You will both write down your partner's answers, and as homework type up a single-spaced one-page essay on what you learned about them today. You will turn in your answers as well as your essays tomorrow."

We heard a few more groans before the scuffing of chairs against the concrete floor. I got up and went to Mrs. Taylor's desk without even looking at Hayden. She gave me an admiring smile. She said something under her breath that sounded like go get em, but I wasn't too sure. I could have been imagining things.

"Hi," I awkwardly greeted Hayden while I stood in front of his desk.

"Hey partner," he winked gesturing to the empty desk next to him. I slid in next to him and handed him the paper.

——————
I currently am still figuring out some songs for certain chapters. I will definitely update the chapter when I do find the song! If you have a recommendation please share :) I just wanted to get some chapters up for you first!

How do you feel about Natalie? Hayden?
What do you think will happen?

I'd love to hear your thoughts

Xoxo