I scoffed. "Yeah, I'm starting to think the only reason he was likable then was because we all did what he said."

He reached out, wrapping his hand around mine. "Look, I'll be right by your side. If things start to get out of hand we'll leave. But you have to at least try, right?"

I let out a slow breath, staring up at the house that towered over us, before nodding and stepping out of the car.

Once I rang the doorbell, I grabbed Nolan's hand again and waited. The door swung open. Marley, Dad's assistant, stood on the other side a smile gracing her face.

"Jade," she greeted, stepping aside to let us in. "Your dad will be so happy you're here."

She either had no idea what was going on with our family or she had the kind of optimism I could only dream of.

We followed her through the maze of the house to the kitchen. Dad stood at the island, his laptop in front of him, a phone wedged between his shoulder in his ear and take out containers surrounding his space.

He looked stressed out about something as he worked the laptop with one hand and chopsticks with the other.

"Boss," Marley said, trying to grab his attention.

Dad was too busy yelling at whoever was on the phone to look up.

"Jade's here," she tried again.

That caught his attention. His eyes darted up at me and for a split second he seemed happy to see me. Then his gaze shifted to Nolan. I realized this was the first time they ever met and I was nervous for a whole new set of reasons.

Dad quickly ushered whoever he was talking to off the line and pocketed his phone. "Jade? What's going on? Who is he?"

"This is Nolan. My boyfriend," I told him, wringing my hands together.

I hadn't introduced him to a boyfriend since Deshaun. And despite our rocky relationship at the moment, part of me was afraid he wouldn't approve or he'd say something to embarrass me.

"We need to talk," I said quickly, trying to remain on track.

Dad's eyes shifted between the two of us, brow furrowed as he probably tried to figure out why we were there. Before I could continue he spoke, his face contorting into something between horrified and pissed.

"Oh hell," he groaned, rubbing a hand down his face. "You did something stupid, didn't you? Are you pregnant?"

Nolan choked on air. Marley pretended to be interested in the lint on her sweater.

"What? No!" My face was boiling hot. "I came here to talk about Mom and Taylor."

He was visibly relieved, but only for a second. "We are not having this discussion, Jade. What's happening between your mom and I-"

"Us," I corrected. "What's happening between us. This isn't just about you and Mom. It's about Taylor and I, too. It's about our family that you're trying to completely destroy."

Silence followed. Whatever Dad was thinking it wasn't showcased on his face.

Marley broke the silence, offering Nolan a tour of the house, desperate to leave the tension filled room. Nolan made sure I was fine alone before following after her.

Once they were gone I turned back to my father, gripping the edge of the island do he couldn't tell how badly my hands were shaking. What if this plan backfired?

"Jade," he began, busying himself by cleaning up spilled rice from the counter. "I have work to do."

Of course. Always concerned about work. "Well, as a businessman, you should know a good deal when you see one."

His interest was piqued, brow cocked in curiosity. I was speaking his language. "And what deal is that?"

The confidence I lost in the driveway was slowly coming back. I pressed my palms onto the cool marble counter top, leaning in. "Weekends. Not just with Taylor, but me as well."

He was shaking his head before I even finished. "Jade—"

"And I'll talk to Mom about letting you keep Taylor for most of the summer," I told him. Before he could interrupt with questions I quickly added, "If you agree to drop the whole custody battle."

He was quick to dismiss my offer with a laugh. "You think it's that easy? That everything will become easier with your little plan?"

"It can be," I said, feeling my anger rise. "You're the one making it difficult. I was the one who had to pick up the pieces after you left. I'm the one that had to listen to Mom cry herself to sleep every night for weeks. Now she's finally at a better place in her life and you're trying to take that from her."

His patients was wearing thin. His square jaw was set in a hard line, nostrils flared. "Taylor is my daughter, too, Jade. And I have every right to be in her life."

"You do," I agreed. "But is that why you're doing this or are you just trying to get back at Mom?"

For a few moments we just stared at each other. Both of us waiting for the other to either strike again or back down.

I didn't want to hate him. Nolan was right, he's my father and at one point he was the best father in world. But the man standing before me then, I didn't know him.

"Marley," Dad said, ending our stare off.

I looked up to find Marley and Nolan in the archway. I hadn't noticed that they were back from the house tour and wondered how long they'd been standing there.

"Show them out, please," Dad ordered, his tone final.

My heart broke. I didn't know what to expect coming here, but his cold, detached tone wasn't it. The dismissive way he pulled his phone out his pocket and began tapping through it wasn't it. Him not even denying that he was using his daughter as a pawn in some messed up game wasn't at all what I was expecting.

I turned to leave, grabbing Nolan's arm on the way to the door. Only Nolan didn't budge. Glancing up at him, I realized he was staring daggers at my dad.

"Nolan." I tugged once more, but he stood his ground.

Marley looked nervous, unsure of what was about to happen next.

"I lost my mom few months ago," he said. Dad froze, looking up from his phone. "It was, hands down, the worst day of my life. But it did remind me how important family is and how important it is to take advantage of every moment you have with the people you love. So, I can't understand why you would want to take those moment away from, not just your daughters, but yourself as well. Is it really worth it?"

Dad said nothing. I couldn't tell if Nolan's words affected him in the slightest. He went back to his very important phone, his face void of emotion.

"Thanks," I said to Nolan as soon as we stepped outside. The sun was setting, the sky changing from purple to an inky blue. "For trying to get through to him. I know bringing up your mom wasn't easy."

Nolan glanced back at the house like he expected my dad to suddenly come to his senses, come out and apologize. Of course, he didn't.

"Promise me something," he said, his attention coming back to me as we stopped in front of my car.  "When we win king and queen you'll actually go to Europe with me."

"When?" I joked, despite wanting to curl up in a ball and cry. "You seem confident."

"Don't try to change the subject."

I wanted to make that promise. The words were right at the tip of my tongue. But Mom was at the forefront of my brain, sitting alone in that house. The image made me sick.

No words passed between us, but he understood my dilemma. He cupped my face in his warm hand and left a kiss on my forehead.

"You don't have to answer right now," he said, letting his hand travel down to my arms.

All I could do wad smile at his understanding. How did I get so lucky?

"Come on," he said, opening the passenger side door for me. "Let's go. I'll drive."

I gratefully handed him the keys and after a few minutes of seat adjusting, we pulled out of the driveway.