56. The Prom Wars (2)

Start from the beginning

We were split into two groups of six for the first round. Who decided on these groups had it out for me because our team mates were none other than Tiffany and Mason. Tiffany didn't even attempt to hide her dislike for me. Our other team mates, Skye and Samuel, seemed oblivious to the awkwardness.

The theme for the round was Love, represented by a hard-boiled egg covered in heart stickers. There were six obstacle that were meant to represent the ups and downs of a relationship.

First was the egg in a spoon walk, followed by the tire walk. Tiffany and Mason were at those stations, respectively. Next was the giant inflatable obstacle course that I wasn't too thrilled about getting in. On the other side Nolan waited for me where he'd take the egg—er, heart—into a ball pit where he had to find a flag. Then Samuel would do the sack race and the round would be finished off with Skye having to get three hoops over a cone.

It was a relay race type of thing. There were three races in total. Whichever team had the most points in the end competed in a final competition for the prize.

Winning didn't matter to me. I just wanted this whole thing to be over with so I could talk to Nolan.

An air horn sounded and the race began. Tiffany made is halfway to Mason before the egg fell off the spoon and she had to go back to the starting line.

"The green team is in the lead!" Principal Gibson announced like he was a living out his dreams of being a sports news anchor.

Rainesha had gotten their egg to Ivan while Tiffany was still making her way across to Mason. Luckily, Ivan kept tripping over the tires and gave us time to catch up.

When Tiffany got the egg to Mason he speed through the tire walk like it was nothing. As soon as the egg was in my hand I dove into the maze of the bounce house. With the other team behind I had at least a few seconds to talk to Nolan.

Trying to climb over the slippery wall off a bounce house made me realize how out of shape I was. I had already worked up a sweat and I wasn't even halfway through. I could hear Principal Gibson excitedly announce that the yellow team was catching up as I crawled through yet another tunnel. Ethan made it out of the bounce house seconds before me.

"Where's the egg?" Jeremy demanded.

Ethan's victory dance was cut short. "Shit!" He exclaimed before going back into the bounce house.

"The yellow team lost their heart," Principal Gibson said. "Once he finds it he will have to start from the beginning." A burst of cheers encouraging Ethan came from the crowd.

Nolan tried to grab the egg from my hand, but I wouldn't let go.

"I shouldn't have projected the stuff with my dad on to you. But you—"

"Jade," he glanced at our spectators and Samuel yelling at us to keep going, "we can't do this right now."

Principal Gibson chuckled into his mic. "Looks like the red team doesn't fully understand the point of the race," he said. "You're not supposed to wait for the other team to catch up."

I ignored the crowd, focusing only on Nolan. "I would've admitted that earlier, but you treated me like you hated me. And now you're hooking up with other girls?"

"Are you being serious?" His brow knitted together. "You broke up with me and now you're mad at me for trying to move on?"

When he put it like that it sounded ridiculous.

"Ethan has the egg—heart—and is now heading back to the starting line," Principal Gibson narrated. "And the red team seems to still be using this time to have a chat. A little cocky if you ask me."