The Keeper of the Truth - I

The King

I pace back and forth in my in my chambers. By now I must have made a path in the centuries-old floor. My men have not been able to find any sign of her other than the tracks her horse left, but they just end mysteriously in the middle of the road.

My advisors have persuaded me to stay here for long enough. Galena has been lost of two days now, two days are far too long when all I have to do is let go and then I'll get the pleasure out of ripping whoever hurt my beloved to pieces. She was finally in my possession, finally, she was mine. I've wanted her since I saw her for the first time on the docks in Kaupa. That was ten years ago. I knew, with only one look at her that she was my charm. One look at her had my beast quiet, quieter than I've ever heard him.

It has surprised me somewhat to find that I miss her, more than I care to admit to anyone by myself. I've been king here for more than two decades now, but I am much older than that. I've lived now, for almost a hundred years. I've frozen myself at this age. The beast keeps me alive, keeps me strong. I can live for hundreds of years without aging. I can decide myself when it's time for me to pass.

I was the one to discover her white mare running into the courtyard full speed. The mare had been frightened out of her mind and would let no one near her. I only just managed to catch her; maybe I had a whiff of Galena's scent on me.

At first, I hadn't thought much of it, since she was supposed to be in the tower as always. But my clever princess found a way to sneak around my guard. She's far too sneaky for her own good. She must have managed to avoid two pairs of guards one stationed at her bedroom and one at each of the gates.

At first, it was difficult to find out which way they had ridden from the beginning. It had to be one of the smaller gates since there would be too many people for her to sneak through the front gate. Then after a closer look on the horse's hooves, it's clear that it's been galloping through a muddy forest floor. She must have ridden through the forest, and fallen off.

"Edwin, saddle my horse!" The warrior looks up from his place by the far wall. The warrior is still young, his red-ish hair and golden eyes make him an easily known man in my group. For the better or for the worse, sadly he's not a very talented warrior. At least not yet, he's still young, I hope he grows stronger. I would hate to send a boy like him to war.

"My lord?" He looks at me with utter confusion written clearly on his face. But his golden eyes show that he knows what I'm asking of him.

"My horse, saddle it up," He looks like he's going to question my order further. He opens his mouth, but before a sound escapes, I growl lowly at him. My spine starts tingling a feeling I haven't felt in a long time.

A feeling I have suppressed for too long. Too long have I been slumbering in my cave, to long have I let enemies roam my lands. Too long.

I feel a territorial primal urged to kill all the trespassers, but I know I can't be hasty. I walk over to the rack of swords, bows, and spears hanging on the wall. I pick out a gold-plated sword. It's a rough blade. It would normally be a two-handed sword but I myself can wield it with one.

It's a mighty blade, like no other I've ever owned. It's loyal and always brings justice on the battlefield.

"Hear Coair's clang," I smile at the long blade before I put it back into the scabbard. I grasp my black cloak and drape it over my shoulder fastening it to the top of my amour.

As I walk through the halls and out to the courtyard. When I reach it, Edwin is already standing in a corner with my horse's reins in one hand. At least the boy was smart enough to stand in that part of the courtyard that's covered by the shadow of the castle.