The Keeper of the Dying Land - I

The Queen

I watch from my balcony as I see my father's ship moving closer in the distance. He's been away for over a month now, but I do not long for his return. My bruises have finally healed, and my scars have faded as the sun has colored my skin. But, the memories have not faded and my soul has not healed.

I lay my hands on the railing of the balcony, for a second considering taking the leap. That is not a new thought, but I've never been able to do it. Some might call me a coward for that, but I like to call myself persistent. I refuse to end my life squashed out on the courtyard stones. I lean against the railing watching the city below, my city.

Even after that horrifying storm, that has ruined almost everything, it's still beautiful. It's normally too hot here for anything to grow, but the storm has given life to many new plants. Small plants are beginning to sprout from all kinds of places. They sprout out between the bricks on the walls of nearly every house. Some have even started to bloom, making this chaos seem like an oasis.

I watch as the ship comes closer. I dread the return of my father. He set out to find me a suitable match, as he liked to call it. But the truth is, that he needs money to restore Kaupa to her former glory. The kind of money that I can provide since I'm what many would call a respectable lady. A respectable lady receives a pretty penny in bride price. I know that when I father walks off that ship, he'll bring news of my future.

I leave my safe haven on the balcony, to greet my father at the docks. I walk slowly through Kaupa, well knowing I might be gone sooner than I would like.

I observe every cream-colored stone-house we pass, remembering times spend playing with my siblings in these same streets. I hope that my father has decided to marry me off to a wealthy man nearby; I would hate to leave my siblings with him for too long. That would be wishful thinking, he's been gone for nearly a month, why would be gone for that long if he had married me off nearby? I scold myself with the slight glimmer of hope. A thing I've practiced since childhood. I've become good at squashing my dreams.

Dreaming is for men, enduring is for women. Men have always been reckless creatures, many dying soon after their birth. Women are the ones who endure, women are made to last a lifetime where men are not. Men are meant to die young, to see the world. Where women have to stay home and ensure the family is kept well managed. I sigh at the unfairness.

The wood gives off a hollow sound when I step onto the dock. I've never liked the sea much, it's to doubtful and ever-changing. I watch as the waves toss and turn beneath the planks of which I'm standing on. I take a deep breath of salty air, trying to calm myself before I have to look into the eyes of my father.

"Galena!" a demanding voice yells from the ship. I look up to see my father's well-known features, blond hair, and blue eyes. He walks down the wooden plank looking elegant as ever.

"Yes, father?" I question him.

"I bid you pack your things; we'll be leaving in the morning." My heart skips a beat at the news, so soon? I can't fathom the idea of leaving so soon.

"Where to? Might I ask?" I ask my voice low and trembling, I know I'm pushing my luck. I shouldn't be asking my father like this, it'll only fuel his temper, but I have to know.

"To Theas, You will be a queen. A queen of the North"

At my father's words, my heart falls to the pit of my stomach with dread. So, I will be leaving these shores for good. If what my father says is true, that I'll be married off to the north, then I won't be returning. The North is a long journey, and my future husband will doubtfully want to sail such big plains of open water just so I can see my family. The Northerners have always been very homebound; they keep within their lands and rarely attack other countries except if necessary.

Though, when in war, they are brutal. They have a strong gravity point, which allows them more power with each strike. Different from us, we are taught elegance above effectiveness.

I often watch my brothers spar and to me it seems very much like a dance. A dance in where they take their turn and then let the opponent get their turn, like gentlemen. Our style of fighting reflects our surroundings, its light, like the salty ocean breeze. Where the northerners are rough, they fight as much with their hands as they do with their swords. They are not elegant but they are deadly, which is why they are the most feared in battle.

I wonder what my betrothed is like. Maybe he's a strong and fierce warrior. I've heard many tales of the warriors of the North. When I was younger, my father would call them; the keepers of the Northern gate. The Northern gate is the three mountains that border the Northern lands and keeps invaders from the West at bay. What's beyond the three mountains? No one knows. Some say it's a land of shadows and darkness.

As I stare over the unruly ocean, I wonder what my life will be like in a few months. I beg the goddess Tethys for save passage over the waters. Tethys is a capricious goddess and she's never on anyone's side. Her mood is changeable, it can be smooth a beautiful but then turn into roaring waves. I start winging my hands together at the thought of sailing across the great oceans.

I on my way back to the palace, I walk through the well-known streets. I smile at the sight of the beautiful houses, being reconstructed. Kaupa has always been a beautiful village. I hope it can be restored to its former glory even though; I might never be here to see it again. I've spent many happy years in these streets, playing with my younger siblings, buying goods from faraway lands. I've spent countless hours looking at the booths spread around Kaupa on market day.