First Case: Arizona (part 2)

Chapter 6

-Nalani's Pov

"So when was the last time you saw your husband?" I asked Mrs. Baker.

"Three days ago."

"Okay, that was the day your husband was murdered," she flinched, "did you have any conversations with him that day?"

"Umm... Around 11 that morning."

"Two hours before he was killed." I heard Spencer mumble. I continued,

"I'm guessing it was over the phone?"

"Yes."

"Did he sound... Abnormal at all, maybe frantic, nervous, out of it?"

"Well yes, normally around that time we have a 20ish minute call, but it only lasted 5, and he sounded like he was in a rush." She said.

"Did you ask him if anything was up?"

"Yes, he said not to worry about it and told me he wouldn't be able to get our daughter from the sitters. So I just thought he was working overtime." I exchanged a glance with Spencer, asking him to help.

"Did you know if you're husband had any affairs with a black market, mafia, shark, umm-" Spencer took over... Luckily.

"No! He-he would never!"

"And I'm not saying he did. We're just trying to widen our horizons here- but let's say um... Before you two met, what kind of guy was he?"

"Well both of us had just graduated college and moved to Arizona, and ran into each other at a coffee shop. Then we started hanging out- he was an honest man. Hardworking, smart, he never did anything bad- he-he." Spencer immediately told her to calm down, for her emotions were getting the best of her.... I felt bad. She was a mess, a widow, and here we are asking about her life.

"Did he ever- hurt you or your daughter?"

"No!!! He could barely even kill a spider whenever I ask. He always has to put them outside! He-he's not like that-"

"Thank you ma'am. We'll stay in touch." Reid got up, grabbing my arm and left. I wanted to just go over and hug the poor woman. She didn't deserve to go through this.

***

"Why did we leave so suddenly?" I asked after driving for a little while.

"Well everything she gave us matches what all the descriptions other victims were given. Nothing wrong, a great person- it's almost like our unsub is looking for the perfect man."

"Well- from personal experience- sometimes you grow up in household that everyone thinks is perfect, but it's far from it. Maybe our unsub had to suffer that- and he or she see's a family like this and immediately thinks that they're a lie- and the father was our unsubs main reason for suffering...." I rambled on just letting whatever I was thinking go.

"Wow... That's good- I mean, that could be a lead. Maybe there was child abuse," I flinched rubbing my wrist, "and he or she can't let that go- and maybe thinks he or she's doing the victim's wife and son a favor."

"That's why you asked if he was ever violent..?"

"Exactly. And the way she reacted I could tell she was offended I brought that up. She didn't show any signs of lying to us."

"Okay."

"What did you mean by your personal experience?" The atmosphere immediately became serious- if it could be anymore.

"Well- my father was an important person in the town. He put on a show- that's all."

"Alright. You don't have to say anymore."