Chapter 2

Have you ever felt like your whole world is about to be destroyed? Well, that's how I feel now. I had just arrived at work, when my boss said "Melanie, you really have to work this saturday. It's really urgent, and we don't have any others than can do it!". I couldn't really just say no, but I had plans with Riker. "But-" I tried to say, but she sent me a glare that meant "No discussion, just work!".

When I Was finished at work, I went home, and sat down in my couch. I took up my phone, and started thinking about what to text Riker. If I cancelled this He might think that I don't like him! I decided to call him instead.

"Hello?" He answered, and I smiled by the sound of his voice. "Hi, Riker, it's Melanie" I said. "Oh, hi!" He said, sounding happier than ever. "Ehm, I have to tell you something" I said, and I could picture a frown on his perfect face. "Is something wrong?" He asked, and i sighed. "I have to work on saturday. Sorry" I said, and felt so bad. "Oh, that's ok. It's fine. We can just meet some other time, right?" He said, sounding really dissapointed. I nodded, but then I remembered that He couldn't see me, so I said "Yeah, of course we can Riker!". "Yeah, Bye!" He said, and hung up, before I could say something. Ok, now I officially had ruined a potential relationship. And all because of work. And it wasn't even my fault!

I really Was in a bad mood the rest of the week. None of my relationships have ever been nice, and this one hadn't even started yet! The worst thing is that I've fallen really hard for Riker. What should I do about that?! And I don't even have his number anymore, I dropped my phone in the toilet! I don't know his last name, so I can't find his number...

I Was really hoping that some of my friends would come to visit me, but of course none of them did. They were all at schools on the east-coast, and in Europe. So it Was really hard for us to speak, especially now that I don't have a phone!

I can't afford buying a new phone. I'll save for it, but it will take a while.

I had to walk home on saturday, cause I missed the bus. It Was pouring rain outside, and while I were walking I just suddenly started crying. And I never cry, so it Was really unusual! I just felt so lonely. My parents were gone, I hadn't seen my friends in months, and I actually missed Riker. Even though I had only met him once. He was what I pictured as a perfect guy. Good looking, funny, nice, caring etc. So the tears just ran down my cheeks. I didn't make any sound, it Was only tears. It didn't make it any

I locked myself into the apartement complex, and started to walk up the stairs. I live at the 5th floor, and it's no elevator. But it's alright, at least now. I didn't want to be awkwardly crying beside a stranger!

When I arrived at the 5th floor, my face Was all wet by the tears. Probably my shirt too. I saw someone standing in front of my door, and I stopped. He (cause it Was a guy) had his hood on, and He Was standing with his back against me. My heart started beating faster. I know He didn't live at this floor, cause it's only old people living here, with me as the excepsion. What did He want with me?! I wasn't really scared, but I felt so weak right at the moment. I just wanted to go and sob myself to sleep. I decided that I couldn't stand here all day, and I wen up to my door. When I Was right behind the guy, it felt like my heart would explode out of my chest, it Was beating so fast. Then He turned around, and jumped a little. "OMG, you scared me! Wait- Melanie?" He said, and took off his hood. "R-Riker?" I said, and thought about how I looked. Fuck.

"Are you crying?" He asked, and pulled me into a hug. I shook my head, but some more tears fell from my eyes. He rubbed my back, and it felt like we've known eachother forever. "Why are you crying?" He asked, and took a hold of my shoulders, while looking into my eyes. I noticed his were soft, hazel brown. "It's a long story" I said, and looked at the floor. "Do you want to tell me?" he asked, and smiled. I hesitated, then I remembered Where we were standing, and said "Do you wanna come in?" And pointed at the door. He nodded, and I unlocked it, and went inside, while He followed me in.

"I have to change out of these wet clothes, you can just do what you want in the meantime" I said to Riker, and He nodded, and smiled at me. I went into my room, and changed into my sweatpants and a big t-shirt. Then I went into the bathroom, just to find out that my eyes were red and puffy from all the crying, and that I looked like a troll. My hair were a total mess!

When I were Finally finished, I went into the livingroom, Where Riker Was. He stood and looked at all the pictures I had on the biggest wall in my apartement. I think it's over 100 pictures there, of me and my parents when I Was younger, me and my friends, and old pictures of the rest of my family. My dad Was a professional photographer, so He took pictures of everything. It Was Nice memories, but just not right now. I let out a big sob, before the tears came again. Riker turned around, and wrapped his arms around me again. "Shhhh, it's ok" He said, and I calmed down a little. I dried my tears, and sat down on my couch. Riker sat down beside me, and put an arm around me. "Have you had a fight with anyone?" He asked, but I shook my head. "I just miss them so much" I said, without thinking. I hadn't planned telling him that they were dead, but I guess I just had to. "Miss who?" He asked, and I said "My parents".

"Oh, are they on a trip or something?" He asked, not knowing anything. "No. My parents are dead"