Chapter 8

------10 years later------

"So that's it, then. I'm so sorry I have to leave, but we both know it's for the best. Me staying would not only put me in danger, but also you and Emily. I left everything you need, it's all hidden in our secret place in the basement. Remember to never open the door if someone knocks. Remember to always close the windows when you hear the bells. Everything is gonna be alright. You're gonna be ok. We are gonna be ok. I'm gonna miss you so much, and I wish I could say all these things to you personally, but that would be too hard for both of us. I know it hurts you that I didn't say goodbye. I know you that well. But it would hurt both of us more if I did, and if I let you know I was leaving. Again, I'm so sorry. I will come back someday. Just believe that.

I know you're wondering why I didn't bring you and Emily with me. The answer is simple; it would be too dangerous. If they find me, they would have found you too. You're safer at home. Just don't forget that I love you. Tell Emily every day that I love her, too. I'll be back as soon as I can. It may be months, maybe even years. But I will come back. To you. That's a promise. I'll miss you so much. I'll miss the way you smile, the way you laugh. I'll miss how you pretend to be mad at me, but ruining it by smiling. I'll miss how you always find the good in a situation that seems impossible. And that's what I need you to do now. Look for the good things. We'll all be safe. Everything will be alright. If you ever need help to something, call the numbers taped to the fridge. It's mum and dad's new numbers. Just remember to don't call between 11 pm and 2 am. They track our phones.

Well, I don't really have a lot more to say. I'll miss you. I love you. I love Emily. I wish I didn't have to leave. If there was any way at all I could stay, I would. I would do anything. But the only thing I can do to keep you safe is leaving. I hope you understand that. You're not only my wife, you're my best friend. And I would do anything for you. I love you so much. Please don't forget me.

Always thinking about you <3

-Riker xx"

It had been 7 months. 7 months since I had woken up without the safe warmth of my husband next to me. 7 months since I had found the letter where he should lie. 7 months since the last time I saw and spoke to Riker. I put down the letter, which I had almost learned by heart. It was the last piece I had of him, I would not let it go. He said he would come back. But by the looks of it, this war wouldn't stop soon. Yes. The united states are in war. And those who tries to take over our country is mad. They swore to torture and kill every single person who is in the entertainment business. And their families. That was the reason behind Riker leaving. "Mommy," I looked behind me, and my eyes stopped at Emily. Our little daughter. "Are you alright, mommy?" she asked, her big, hazel brown eyes looking at me with concern. I nodded, and smiled. "C'mon, Em. Grandma and grandpa will be here any minute, and I think you maybe can expect a cake!" I said, and she smiled. "Yay!"

"Emily! It's so nice to see you again!" I smiled as I watched Stormie and Mark embracing my 6 years old daughter in a hug. "Grandma! Grandpa!" she squeeled. "Guess who made the birthday girl a cake," Stormie smiled, and Emily laughed. "You did!"

"I hope you had so much fun, Emily" I said, smiling at my sleepy daughter. "Of course, mommy. I got everything I wanted!" she said, smiling, before looking away with a little frown. "What is it, sweetheart?" I asked, and she looked up at me through her long eyelashes. "I miss daddy. When is he coming home?" she asked. I sighed. "I don't know, Emily. He'll come home when it's safe. He loves you," I said, stroking her hair. "I love him too. And I miss him. I wish he was here," she said. "Me too, Em,"

"Is she asleep?" Stormie asked when I came back to the living room. "Yes, I think so," I said, and sat down on the couch. "Have you heard anything from him?" I asked. "No, I'm sorry, dear" Stormie said, and placed her hand on my knee. "From the others?" The both shook their heads. Rydel, Rocky, Ratliff, Ross and even Ryland had to hide, too. We hadn't heard from them in 7 months. We couldn't even know if they were still alive, or not. "Do you think they're ok?" I asked, trying to stop the tears. "I don't know. I don't even know where they are," Mark said.

Months passed. No change. The war continued. Thousands of people were killed. Innocent people. It was horrible. It came to that point where not even Stormie and Mark could visit. We couldn't step outside the door. We slowly became isolated from all our loved ones.

Then came the day when I woke up in the middle of the night, because of someone knocking on our front door. I tried to stay calm, and not panic. I hurried in to Emily's room, woke her up, and told her to be as quiet as possible. If we were really quiet, maybe they would think no one was home. But the knocking didn't stop. Then Emily started crying. "Shh, it's alright. No one's gonna hurt you," I whispered as quietly as I could. Then I heard someone say outside of the door "They have to be in here! If they don't answer soon we'll have to go in and get them. It's not safe here anymore!" What? Why? I looked out if the window, and saw two men in uniform. They were the police. Thank god. I opened the door, and I think I scared them a bit. "I'm very sorry I didn't answer the door. I didn't know who it was," I said, and they smiled at me. "It's alright, but both you and your daughter have to come with us. We've just got a message about something that has happened to your husband, that could affect you and your daughter. It's not safe here," One of them said. That's when Emily really started to cry.

We all hurried into a waiting car, and as soon as we closed the doors, the car drove away as fast as it could. "What happened to Riker?" I asked the policemen, but they said "We can't discuss this before we get somewhere safe,". Emily was crying hysterically, and I put my arm around her and tried to calm her down. Her blonde curls hung down in front of her eyes, and she was shaking from crying so much. "We will be alright, Emily. No one's gonna hurt us," I said, shaking myself. I was so scared, but I had to take care of my daughter. "I-i know, but w-what ab-bout daddy?" she asked, and cried into my shirt. "He's fine, too" I lied, 'cause I couldn't know. They had said something happened, but I don't know what. If he were dead, they would've told us right away, right? I don't even know anymore.

We approached a big building, and was hurried out of the car, and into it. As soon as we stepped in the door, I saw two very familiar faces. "Grandma! Grandpa!" Emily said, and went up to them and hugged them both. I also hugged them. "Have they told you anything?" I asked, and they both shook their heads. Just 30 seconds later a very important-looking man came out of a room. "If you all could come with me," he said, and we followed him back into the room he came from. The walls were all grey, and it really looked like an interrogation-room. That was probably what it was. There were no chair or any other sort of furniture, just plain grey. "Wait here" the man said, and got out of the room trough another door in the other end of the room. "Mommy, I'm scared" Emily said, gripping my hand. "It's alright, Em, we'll just wait here and-" I said, but stopped mid-sentence. 6 familiar faces came out of the door. And there he was. My everything. I couldn't quite believe it, so I was just standing there staring at him. "DADDY!!!" Emily screamed, and ran up to him. He picked her up, spun her around, and said "You've grown so much, baby girl! I've missed you so much!" "I've missed you more Daddy. But mom has missed you most!" Emily said, and pointed at me. Riker put her down, and she ran over to the others. He walked up to me, and I jumped into his arms, almost literally. Then the tears came. I started crying really hard. "Melanie, please don't cry. I'm here now, everything's ok!" Riker said, and kissed me. Oh, how I'd missed that! When we pulled away, I said "I love you, you fucking idiot!", and hugged him. "I love you more, I've missed you so much," he said, and kissed my head. "I missed you too. I was scared to death when the police said something had happened to you! What actually happened?" I asked, and looked into his hazel-brown eyes. He looked so tired. "Someone spotted us on our way here, from our last hiding spot. We got away, though. They don't know where we are," he said, and smiled. That made me smile, too. This was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life; just look into his eyes. 

--------65 years later--------

"Goodbye, Riker. I love you more than anything. I don't want you to leave me. But everyone has their time. I guess this was yours," I said, while staring at his grave. I were alone on the graveyard, it was a cold november evening. I looked at the inscription. 

In memory of

Riker Anthony Lynch

1991-2087

Loved husband, father and brother

We will never forget you

I sighed, and sat down right next to the grave. It was too cold, and I really had to get up from the ground, or else I'd get sick. But I felt no need to get up. I felt a strange kind of happiness and peace fill me, and I looked up at the sky. "Thinking about you, Riker. Always thinking about you" I said, and suddenly felt very light. I knew what was coming. "Here I come, Riker"