chapter twelve ✰

• timeskip to: mars' seventeenth bday

"sit down, i got this!"

i shake my head.

"no, you sit down!"

"you're acting like i'm disabled!"

"you're in a wheel chair so technically you are!"

my mom works every single day of her life. it's crazy how she can't handle talking a small break, even when she needs it the most. she was and still is not ready to be out of hospital but she demanded that she had to leave.

while she was in hospital for that short period of time, i completed my drivers test and passed! i still haven't gotten the chance to drive by myself yet because of looking after my mom.

i finish up the dishes and go back to my mom, who had a scowl on her face.

"what?" i ask.

she turns her head away.

"you're mad at me for keeping you safe and healthy?"

"i'm the mother in this household! i should be the one looking after you!"

she rolls her wheelchair down the hall and into her room, closing the door behind her.

i finish cleaning things up, then go upstairs and into my room.

i open my laptop and facetime jaden.

"hi doll" he says.

"hi jaden, what're you doing?"

"cod with the boys but i can talk. ready for tonight?"

"definitely!"

for my birthday, jaden bought a disney+ subscription for the both of us to share. he said he got me some other gifts, which i didn't like since i don't like taking anything from people.

tonight i'm sleeping over at his for the first time! his family is gonna be out of town and that's a bonus because the day after, we planned an seventeenth birthday bash at jaden's house!"

i didn't want to have one at all because of not wanting to disturb my mom but jaden insisted i have one at his house.

i talk to jaden for the rest of the afternoon. as i shut my laptop, i hear elmo shout from downstairs. i grab my phone and rush down at the speed of light, only to see him in my moms room, tears filling his eyes.

"what happened?"

"no time to explain, get in the car and call dad. tell him to meet us at the hospital."

i run outside and into the back seat, calling my dad on the way.

"meet us at the hospital! something happened with mom and elmo is calling 911 right now!"

my dad immediately hangs up, which must mean that he was going to be on his way.

after a minute, elmo carried my mom in his arms, then placing her in the back seat beside me. there was blood all around her head that laid on my lap. oh mom.

once we get there, the nurses tell us that my mom's stitches after surgery broke up and passed out because of blood loss.

"how could they open though?"

"it's generally because they either weren't set yet or your mother didn't rest very well"

she really didn't. elmo went inside the room mom was in and told me to stay outside because he was afraid that i was gonna have a panic attack, especially since jaden wasn't here to calm me down.