- 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯

CHAPTER SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN

" hell yes! "

JOHANNA IVERS
HAS A SMOKE BREAK

JOHANNA, WILMA, AND KATHRYN MADE THEIR WAY DOWN THE FIRE ESCAPE STAIRS AND ONTO THE BLACK CEMENT BEHIND THE SCHOOL. "And this," Wilma paused, swiping her hand through the alleyway, "This is the burner's blacktop." Wilma said, smiling. Johanna looked around the cold cement basketball courts. It was the barren courts behind the school that the smokers of the school took over during the winter.

"Us burners took this place over, and the school hasn't been able to squash our rebellion!" Wilma says with enthusiasm. Johanna giggled, as the three girls sat down on the stairs. "Thank god, us choking smokers need a place to unwind." Johanna smiled, referencing The Beatles. Wilma and Johanna started rummaging through their bags for their packets of cigarettes.

Kathryn stood aside watching the two girls push the sticks between their laps and lighting up. Johanna took a drag, exhaling slowly as she felt her lungs give the familiar sting against the smoke. "God, that never gets old." Wilma said, taking another drag. Johanna nodded.

The blonde looked over at the eldest girl as she fumbled with her fingers. She was glancing around nervously at all the students gathered around the black top. "Kaths, calm down. Here, you can take a drag from mine?" Johanna offered, raising her cig to the girl. Kathryn shook her head, giving the two a nervous smile. "No, that's fine. I like my lungs healthy, sorry." Kathryn said.

Wilma scoffed, rolling her eyes. "Seriously, Kaths. It's not that bad actually. You know how badly I was against it last year, and how much I love it now." The curly headed girl said, moving her hand closer to the older once again. Kathryn shook her head.

"Hey, Whale. If she doesn't want to then let's not pressure her. Let's just leave her be, she's obviously to chicken for it." Johanna said, pulling at Kathryn's strings. If there was one thing that Kathryn hated, it was being called chicken. The girl huffed, sitting up straight and faced the other two. "Fine, Whale, give me yours." Kathryn commanded, holding out her hand for the girl.

Johanna snickered as she watch Kathryn hesitantly wrap her fingers around the stick. She quickly brought the cancer stick up to her mouth, closing her lips around it. Then she breathed in. Instantly her lungs were on fire and they screamed for fresh air. Kathryn started to cough while Wilma laughed. "Kaths, you alright?" Johanna asked, taking a drag from her cig.

Kathryn nodded, still wheezing. "You're such a pussy, Katheter!" Wilma laughed out. If you asked an onlooker, they'd say she was the one who had just had her first smoke.

Kathryn pouted, handing the cig back to Wilma. Johanna just shook her head, showing a hearty smile. "Anyways, what's the plan for tonight? I've got the house to myself, we can do whatever." Johanna asked as she leaned back against the bench. The two girls had calmed down more, their breathing returning to normal as they turned to their blonde friend.

Kathryn shrugged, looking out at the gloomy sky. "I don't know, Jivers. You're the one with detention." Kathryn said smugly, shoving her cold hands into her pockets.

"Okay, shut up" Johanna pouted.

"It's not her fault. Randy's a bitch." Wilma leaned forward, tapping her ashes to the ground.

"And she had to protect that boy as well." Kathryn sent a knowing smile her way. Johanna rolled her eyes, taking another drag. She exhaled the grey fumes, trying to relieve some sort of stress. "Well, I didn't want his face to cave in. He's pretty ugly, but he has to have at least something." Johanna said smugly.

"Uh-huh. Whatever." Wilma smiled, dropping her cigarette to the ground and snuffing it out. Johanna mirrored her actions. "But, still. What are we doing. I'm pretty sure I can skip detention." Johanna continued the conversation, shoving her hands in her back pockets.

"You three could always come to my party." The voice sent chills down Johanna's spine. She was not expecting to hear it in a long time, maybe never. The three turned around to see a familiar redhead.

Johanna took in Beverly's appearance. She wasn't used to the girl wearing such girly clothes. She was wearing black heeled boots, a black skirt, and a dark green sweater. She looked her part of the popular girl.

"Beverly." Johanna breathed as she stood up, a small smile tugging at her lips.

"Johanna! Don't just stand there, hug me!" Beverly said with a huge grin. She opened her arms and Johanna met her in the middle. She wrapped her arms around the girl. Johanan had only just remembered how much she had missed the girl. "Beverly! I missed you, seriously!" Johanna said as they parted.

"You too, hon! How have you been? I love the hair by the way!" Beverly said in a rushed voice, her eyes creasing as she smiled. Johanna shrugged, smiling. "It's been okay! Thank you, i love the way yours has grown!" Johanna smiles, nodded towards Beverlys long firey red hair. "What about you, how've you been?"

"I've been alright. After that summer I moved in with my aunt, and I've stayed with her since my dad had his, accident." Beverly's smile faltered and Johanna sent her a comforting gaze. She knew the story well.

The two girls were interrupted when Kathryn cleared her throat loudly, begging for their attention. "Well, you gonna introduce us, Jivers?" Kathryn asked, smiling at the two.

"Oh, right. Kathryn, Wilma. This is Beverly Marsh. We were super close in middle school." Johanna smiled widely. Johanna made a swift movement as she turned towards Beverly. "Bev, this is Wilma and Kathryn. They're my best friends."

Beverly nodded smiling at the two girls. "Nevermind that, what's this about a party?" Wilma asked, smiling. Johanna rolled her eyes as she scoffed. "Classic Wilma." She muttered.

"I'm having a halloween party next friday. You're all invited, actually." Beverly explained, smiling kindly at the new faces.

"Wait, a halloween party? It's mid November, Beavs!" Kathryn pouted.

"Beavs?" Beverly questioned, turning towards the other two girls.

Johanna shrugged, smiling. "It's a Kathryn thing, she gives everybody nicknames. Anyways, yeah, what the fuck Mars?" Johanna shoved her hands into her pockets.

"Well, my aunt didn't leave the house on halloween like I had hoped, so we rescheduled the party to next friday. But, nevermind that. Are y'all in?"

"Hell yes!"

☆  *     ☾☽    *  ☆
mabrie speaks!

hey ho! how are you all doing? i hope it's
good lol. i wanted to say that i really love
reading through you all's comments! they
are always really fun and hilarious, so i wanted
to say thank you! i also would love to get
chapter two on digital but i have to wait
for my friend, because he's never seen a
stephen king movie! or any horror movie
for that matter! his parents say it'll mess
up his brain! like how weird is that? he's
coming over and we're gonna have a
marathon of all the it movies, and horror
movies in general, lol!