Chapter 18: Destination

The car zoomed along the road. We passed signs that said how many miles we were from the border. I saw Sam check the gas gauge every few minutes. We were nearly on E.

At first, navigating through the abandoned cars was a tough task but, after about an hour or two, it was the easiest thing.

We finally got to the 5 mile marker. We silently cheered. Dani was sound asleep but I'm sure she would've been relieved. We approached our destination within the next 10 or so minutes.

It was finally there. A sign that read welcome to Georgia and a barricade. We parked the car along side the road because it was basically out of gas and it wouldn't get us anywhere.

"We finally made it, guys." Flynn announced.
"I'm so relieved. All of this will be over. We can find our parents on the other side!" Dani had finally woken up.

I knew I wouldn't see my family. Maybe my brother. I knew my sister, my mom, and my dog were gone. I never found them and I felt so bad about it. Hopefully I could move on and learn to cope with the guilt that plagued me.

The government would eventually find a cure and fix the issue in Florida. After thoroughly examining Florida, we would probably be able to move back. I wasn't sure if I would have like to move back. Too many horrible memories.

I held my gun and made sure it was ready in case any more zombies decided to attack us before we entered our safe zone.

I could already see some people in the toll area and beyond the barricade.

"Let's start our lives again. Let's start anew. Here's to bring safe." Zane said as we all had an imaginary toast.

We gathered our belongings from the car and walked to the barricade. There were a few zombies laying around. Each of them had bullet holes in its forehead. Out of all of the entrances to Georgia, I was sure that this one was the most vacant.

It looked like a ghost town. We walked up to the door of the office where the people had been monitoring the barricade.

We knocked. The door swung open. Then we entered. A man was standing there with a police suit.

"You kids made it all the way here?" He asked.
We smiled; amazed by the recognition of our bravery and hard work.

"We're just glad to be safe, sir." Sam said.
"Safe?" The man asked. He looked confused.
"We knew that Florida was being quarantined. So we figured that if we made it out of Florida, we could go about our lives in peace." I said.
"Dear, you're horribly mistaken. The infection has spread from Florida to the rest of the USA. Its been like this for weeks." The man said.
"But we heard the broadcast. The news announcer said that we were being quarantined because we were the ones that had the virus." Flynn said.
"That was an unfortunate error in their facts. For a few days. Florida was seemingly the only place that didn't have the infection. There were only two cases discovered and the government had them under control. Recently, the virus has spread somehow. But, you've been quite lucky to have survived." The man continued.

It made no sense and at the same time, it made perfect sense. I was so confused.

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to refuse you're entry." He said.
"No! This can't be happening!" I screamed.

I turned around and all I saw was zombies staggering towards us. I dropped to my knees and tried to brace myself.

"They're so many." Sam said in horror.
"Countless."

To be continued...