Chapter 4 -Pagan

Okay, I thought I would get the author's note done first this time. This chapter has Paganism in it and I'm aware that the religion was created long after this but it's apart of the story so just roll with it. 
Please vote/fan/comment!!

XXXXXXX

'I sin but I'm not the devil. I'm good but I am no angel'

-A Month Later-

I've met some of the monsters Ayana has spoken of. I didn't know at that moment because they appear as normal as you and I but now I know. It came to me as I pondered the strange yet beautiful herb i've accustomed to brush with my fingertips as I walk by.

These monsters or people played their part like a game easily to obtain their desires. From their greed to striving in power, they had many reasons to do what they did but it all revolves around them. And they got everything easily because everyone believed them.

We are all just pawns. Replaceable. Puppets.

The one monster I could never forget, the very first one I've met, was a dark witch from our old village. Nasty, mean, and sadistic she was. Dahlia was everything from a demon to a puppeteer. She said she wanted to help us. She said she would be not only our neighbor but friend. Being the naive family we jumped on the idea. I mean some viewed magic as a curse but other people like my family viewed it as protection. Having an openly witch as a friend couldn't be that bad.

Then our father died.

And we learned that not only should witches not be trusted but we now know there monsters. Their kind killed our loved one and in a way they killed us too. Our opinions of them shifted and there much more than cursed and monsters in our eyes.

Escaping them seemed to be our only way to live the rest of our life so we came here to take on new kind of monsters. Ones that seem more feral than the last.

"So what will we do?" I ask the blonde walking beside me with a basket swinging in her hand. Curiosity written across my face as I hear the news for the first time.

"We give the gods our best livestock to appease them and we have a good winter. It is a large celebration that the whole village will attend." Rebekah informs me, almost as if she's talking to a child. "You have no idea, Calla?"

Well, I mean I'm no stranger to the rituals others do to appease their gods but my family doesn't do them. Though it's easier to say that we do then having to face the terror and name calling that revolves around being called "followers of the devil" from worshiping the gods of pagan lore. If you do not worship the same as most then you are deemed to burn.

Not wanting to ruin what we've created here in such little time, I say "Of course, I know. It must have slipped my mind for a moment"

Rebekah's grey-blue eyes narrow at me, as if sensing my hidden secret. I can see the thoughts swirling behind her eyes but my expression stays blank. Rebekah and her family have been kind to us since our settlement. I would hate to lose them over a different belief that we hardly ever practice anymore.