Enemy Love (Chapter 17)

Start from the beginning

“Not really. It’s not even that special. Anyone can cook.”

I snorted. “Yeah, anyone can cook, just not like you can.”

She rolled her eyes. “Whatever you say, Lea.”

I sighed, some days she was impossible, today was one of those days. “So what are the plans for today?”

“Practice some more.” Her tone made it sound like that was the most obvious thing to do. Even as she said it, she was opening the journal that Quinn brought while still making the pancakes.

I didn’t say anything as she finished cooking, but just got out two plates for us. I sat down at the table and ate contemplatively. “Let’s go down to the lake,” I said abruptly.

“I don’t know…”

I put my dishes away then leaned my hip on the table right next to her. “Come on, Isis,” I begged.

“Ileana,” she sighed, “I can’t. I have to train today.” She got up and brushed past me to set her dishes in the sink.

I grabbed her arm before she could go out the door. “Please, Izzy, for me.” This was the best plan that I could come up with for getting her out of training and I really did want to go to the lake, but I still wasn’t able to go alone.

She closed her eyes. “Fine,” she sighed after a minute.

I smiled at her. “Thank you. Oh, and grab a swimsuit, I want to go swimming.”

She sighed again and muttered something under her breath before trudging up the stairs.

“You’re the best!” I called up after her.

“I know!”

I chuckled then headed upstairs myself to put on a swimsuit under my clothes. I was so relieved that Isis was coming with me that I actually felt a little giddy. I just wanted to help her forget for a little bit and I felt like just maybe that I could do that with this.

When I headed back down the stairs, my swimsuit on under my clothes and a bag in my hand, Isis was leaning against the couch, waiting for me. “About time,” she muttered.

I shrugged. “Well I had to make sure my hair is perfect for when I get it wet in a little bit,” I joked.

She rolled her eyes. “Weirdo.”

I smirked. “Just remember, you’re related to me.”

“I guess I’m stuck then.”

“Yeah, you are,” I said cheerfully then draped my arm over her shoulder, giving her a half hug as we walked to the door.

“Oh the joys of sisterhood,” she sighed.

I laughed. “Race you to the lake.”

“Oh, you are so on,” she said then Changed.

I Changed then ran as fast as I could, but I was seriously hampered by the bag in my mouth. We were there in a moment. “You cheated,” I said, spitting out my bag, “you got a head start.”

She laughed, but it sounded more like a cackle. “I did not cheat.”

“Yes, you did,” I mumbled as I Changed back.

“Nope.” With a yawn, she laid down on the ground.

“Are you even going to Change back?” I asked her as I put my clothes in my bag.

She sighed and growled something that resembled ‘if I have to’, or at least that is the choice that made the most sense. In a second, she Changed back into her human form. I jumped into the water and splashed her. “Hey!”