𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞.

Start from the beginning

Of course, there were more stories, but things were cut off when Sam had knocked on our door, dressed and ready to get back to Ruby, informing us that she had gotten back to them about her whereabouts. I sighed and told Sam that we would be ready in fifteen minutes to head out. Turning to my little sister, I gave her a look that read that she wasn't done informing me of everything I missed.

"GLAD YOU COULD MAKE IT," RUBY greeted as all four of us stood in front of the door of the cabin. All of us walked in. First, Sam and Dean, followed by Lily and myself. Both Lily and I walked in the sync motions of our feet, our heels echoing against the floor at the same time. Lily stopped in front of Ruby, wondering what her next move was. I, however, walked around the room, searching to see if Ruby had anyone else hiding here, amongst other things she might have up her sleeve.

"Yeah, thanks," Sam said as the door closed behind us. I turned to Anna after I noticed that nothing seemed out of place, concern clearly written across my eyes. "Anna, are you okay?" Sam asked.

"Yeah. I think so. Ruby's not like other demons. She saved my life." She replied with a bright smile on her face. I rolled my eyes at how everyone thought that Ruby had a heart of gold, and she just wanted to help out, but I knew there was something that she was keeping from us. It seemed likely that a demon would know more about the situation approaching than we did. Her reaching out to both Lily and Sam after I died, and after Dean made his deal was not a coincidence at all. It couldn't have been. I just wasn't able to shake the hunter feeling that we shouldn't trust a demon to begin with and that she was gaining something more than she was leading on from helping us out.

"Yeah, I hear she does that," Dean said with a sarcastic tone in his voice before turning to Ruby and suddenly growing serious. Oh no, not this. "I guess I...you know." Dean continued, stumbling upon the words he wanted to say, however, felt too unnatural just to blurt out. Never would I ever think I would ever see Dean Winchester thanking a demon for something. Ruby, however, didn't catch on to what Dean was trying to say. My arms crossed over my chest, and I leaned against the wall watching Dean struggle to find the right words.

"I guess I owe you for Sam. And I just wanted...you know..." Dean stuttered, still unsure of what to say, but felt inclined to say it anyway.

"Don't strain yourself."

"Okay, then. Is the moment over?" Dean asked Ruby, who then, in response, nodded. "Good, cause that was awkward." He said as the moment passed. Everyone turned to me as they expected me to do the same, but I was not going to kiss her ass just because she kept an eye on my sister. I thought my sister would have been better off without Ruby, in my opinion. The last thing I would have expected was to come back from hell to see my sister being friendly with a demon, knowing that everyone in her family died at the hands of one. She knew better than to follow some random demon just because they had a revenge fantasy. I taught her better than that.

Demons were manipulative, and it was evident to me that Ruby had something planned when Lily was telling me the story of what had happened. For me, it was easy to point it out as I went through many guys who thought they could get something from me. I guess I blamed myself for not letting my sister be normal and go to college as she wanted. I thought back to when I told my sister about the monsters that were out there. I had blamed myself for bringing her into the crusade of searching for as much justice as I could back when what I knew was still very limited.

She had been starting her senior year in high school and had her whole life planned out. I wanted her to be safe. I wanted her to know what was out there so she could protect herself, but what I didn't realize was that I was crushing her dreams at that very moment. She told me she wanted to help out my years-long crusade of revenge, and despite how much I knew she wanted to attend medical school and marry her boyfriend, she dropped all of it and followed me along to the hunt. My eyes shifted to her. The girl beside me was not the same one I had left behind and not necessarily in a good way. I found myself very on edge around her, unable to figure out what my sister was now capable of. And I blamed Ruby for it.