The Assault

Fred is horrified by what he's just learned about Kevin. He screams. Everybody else is freaking out in their own way too. Haymitch tries to pull them all together to explain that Kevin was giving a coded message, the Capitol is planning an assault on 13. Fred agrees. Coin thinks the Capitol wouldn't take a chance on it, since 13 is a viable opponent now, but she agrees they should prepare just in case. She orders everyone to act as though an assault is imminent, and to protect themselves accordingly. This is the first time Fred has experienced what hard-core security measures in 13 are like. Extremely loud sirens go off. Fred and Finnick go with Boggs deeper and deeper into the depths of 13. All the people are somehow calm and orderly. Everyone must check in electronically. By the time they stop descending, they're the deepest within the earth Fred ever has gone. Fred is going to his assigned area when he runs into Plutarch. He tells him it's really important he appears courageous and calm, since all the people there will be taking cues from him. This annoys Fred. He continues to participate in security measures by gathering supplies for the people assigned to the portion of the secure compound with him. Other people seem to be mimicking him. Then he has nothing to do. His mom shows up, but Holly's not with him yet. Fred realizes that Holly must have gone to get her cat, which is totally against the rules. Fred races to keep the military from sealing the compound until Holly gets there. It's down to the wire before Holly slides in, along with Buttercup and Bertha. Fred tries to scold Holly, but doesn't have the heart to. Bertha brought the medical stuff Fred took in 12, and his hunting gear. All the people in the compound retreat to their assigned zones. Suddenly, the assault begins. Kevin was right to warn them, the danger is very real. Fred, his mom and his friends draw close together for comfort. They discuss the possibility that the weapons coming down on them might be nuclear. If so, even with the precautions they've taken, they could all die. Fred wonders why it was so tough for Kevin to say the warning on camera. It seems out of character of him. Coin makes an announcement that everyone should stay where they are until the attack ends. Helda goes to the medical area. Eventually, everyone has to go to bed. Then, Fred and Holly have a chance to talk. Holly reveals she's going to get medical training, to be able to help out. Judy says she will help too. Fred shares his feelings and worry about Kevin. The three of them talked and realize that Kevin is the last tool the Capitol has against Fred, and they'll happily use him against him in any way possible.