30. A glass of Summer Blush

Start from the beginning

"Natasha needs a dress for Saturday."

Her mother stood up and tucked her chair under her desk. "Oh yes, so she does. And I have just the dress for you. Let's go upstairs."

We wandered into Sarah's expansive walk-in wardrobe. I loved this part of her bedroom. Centre stage, on the back wall, lived all her shoes. My eyes focused on the shimmery and glittery heels. I hadn't noticed Sarah pull out a white garment bag from the left side of the closet and place the bag on her bed.

"Come over here, Natasha. I have something I want you to try on." A flash of deep teal peeked through the gap of the bag as she unzipped it. With one hand, she held the dress up by the hanger and peeled back the white cover, throwing it onto her bed. "What do you think?"

I ran my hand over the satin skirt in awe. "It's beautiful. Don't you or Chloe want to wear it?"

Mrs Hart stifled a small giggle and ran an affectionate hand over my arm. "I chose this for you. It's yours. I knew Alec wouldn't invite anyone else. I hope you don't mind me taking the liberty of picking this one. When I saw the dress, I couldn't imagine it on anyone else."

"Why would I mind? It's breathtaking." I hugged Alec's mum, causing her to hold the dress away from us. "Thank you. This really means a lot to me."

"I thought you deserved a treat, after everything that happened at home. And also for making my boy so happy." She placed a brief peck to my forehead.

"Oh, I'm so excited you'll be there now. I didn't fancy being stuck with Mum's old friends. Get ready in my room on Saturday? Alec will die when he sees that on you," Chloe said as she leant against the closed bedroom door, her arms crossed over her waist.

"Enough with the old you," her mum chastised with a smile playing on her lips.

I tried the dress on to make sure we had the right size, and hung it back in her walk-in wardrobe, in the garment bag. We decided to keep the outfit a secret from Alec so it had the most impact on Saturday evening.

***

Saturday, I still had to work my shift at The Tea Stop. Layla let me finish early for the day as I was delivering the desserts she had prepared for the fundraiser.

On Wednesday, Alec and I caught his mum in a panicked frenzy as she tried to find a caterer as hers had let her down. When I went into work the next day, I mentioned the incident with no expectations. Layla suggested that the party could have a cocktail and dessert theme. She would happily provide the sweet treats and advised us to call the company, providing the bar, so they could add some dessert-themed cocktails to their list.

Layla spent all day and the previous night working away in the prep room while Margie and me maned the tearoom. I was a sweaty mess by the end of the day.

Alec helped me transport the trays to the house and popped them on the tables provided for the event. After a brief kiss, I grabbed my toiletries and made my way to the family bathroom in the farmhouse. Chloe took a brief snooze while I washed and said she would be awake by the time I was out.

I tiptoed into her bedroom, my towel fastened tightly around myself. As quietly as I could, I stood behind the dressing screen, in the corner of her room, and slid my underwear on.

"Is it that time already?" Chloe yawned from the comfort of her bed.

"Fraid so." I wrapped my towel around my hair and generously applied moisturiser to my arms, legs, chest and face. "Nice nap?"

"Not long enough." She rubbed at her eyes, then bounced up with a new burst of energy. "Right, let's get this show on the road."

Our dresses hung by their hangers, on the edge of the door of her open wardrobe. I blow-dried my hair and set to work on my make-up. Chloe helped me with a pair of false eyelashes after I got most of the glue on my fingers and stuck one of my eyelids together.