13. Would I lie to you

Sunday came and went, Max hadn't called me or showed up unannounced. Alec was wrong, I didn't have some designated day to see him or he would have popped up.

I would not wait around wondering what was happening with Max. If I wanted answers, I would get them myself and put an end to this confusion once and for all.

After my morning run and shower, I sat in my room, wrapped in a huge fluffy towel. Mum was in the kitchen, clearing all signs of breakfast away. My father left for work over an hour ago while my sister loudly paced her bedroom. I laid back, letting my hair soak into my bedding. I should get dressed, but my mind was all over the place.

Rosie needed someone to calm her down before she had a nervous breakdown. My mother was hiding something from me, as was Sian. Alec was upset. He hadn't spoken to me since our disagreement, and I needed to call Max.

When Alec left on Saturday night, I stayed outside for hours, listening to the wind rustling the leaves. Hoping that everyone was asleep, I crept through the patio doors to make my way up to my bedroom. The lights in the living room and kitchen were off; I was safe.

On high alert, I grabbed my toiletry bag before dashing into the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face. I refused to bump into my family. Walking past Rosie's bedroom on the way back, muffled shouts came through the door. I placed my ear against the wood, needing to hold my breath to listen in on the conversation.

Rosie whisper-shouted at Daniel. She seemed upset that he hadn't told her I bumped into him earlier that day, but her main issue was with his laid-back attitude over her exams and their move up to Scotland. By the sounds of it, their fight had been going on for a while. Daniel couldn't seem to get a word in edge wise.

I tiptoed away from their door, in time to catch my parents arguing in their bedroom. I say arguing, but like my sister's and her boyfriend's spat; it was very much one-sided. Dad's booming voice could be heard, but not his actual words. I waited a few more minutes in the hallway, not once did my mum react to his tirade.

Exhausted, I retreated to my own room, changed into my pyjamas and crawled into bed where I collapsed in seconds.

Close to midnight, I awoke with a start. My mouth parched and needing a glass of water, l crept down to the kitchen where I noticed the lights were back on, through the slightly cracked door. I peered around it to find my mother sat at the large oak table, glasses on her nose, the glare of a laptop monitor illuminating her face.

I inadvertently pushed the door open further, causing it to squeak, and startled her. As quick as lighting, she slammed her laptop shut and shuffled all her paperwork under it. She straightened up, folding her arms over the top.

"Natasha, you scared me. What are you doing up so late?"

"I woke up really thirsty and just wanted a drink. Are you okay, mum? What are you doing?" I asked, rubbing my eyes that were sticking together from my deep slumber.

"Yes, I'm fine. I forgot to sort the weekly budget. Well, it's late so I better head up."

She snatched her laptop and papers before scurrying up to bed. After quenching my thirst, I did the same. Sleep, however, didn't come as easily the second time around. My mother was up to something. What had she been doing?

I couldn't lie around all day. I dried off, pulled on a fresh set of clothes and bit the bullet, dialling Max's number. The phone seemed to ring on for ages but eventually, he picked up. Drilling, hammering and workmen shouting sounded in the background.

"Hello?" he yelled down the line.

"Max, it's Natasha. Can you talk?" I put a finger in the ear that wasn't against the receiver to listen.