Chapter Thirty-Five

ابدأ من البداية

"I made no vows to you, Beelzebub."

Elijah's emboldened sneer startles not only Samael, but the room. Gasps hitch throughout the crowded space. I keep my eyes only on my temperamental captor, imploring peace.

Oh, fuck Elijah. What are you doing?

"You are treading on dangerous ground, moroi." If it weren't for the hundreds of onlookers, he'd have already attacked him. I'm sure of it. To uphold his position, Samael continues conference. Not once has he looked at his brother since his timely arrival. "Why have you come all this way? Can't you see how changed she is? Surely you don't still hold out for someone so above you? Turn. Regard her, notice her resolve."

Elijah doesn't turn to appraise me or study me in any way, and it infuriates the Lord of Darkness. Samael's body flares stiffly.

"Look. At. Her."

"You're a coward who steals what you have not earned," Elijah announces bluntly, unfazed by Samael's prudent upper hand in this situation. "If you were a man worthy of her, you would fight for her."

"She's already mine."

"No," Elijah counters matter-of-factly. "She's not, and you know it."

"What are you proposing?"

"You fight me, man to man, on earth. The better man wins."

Samael chuckles, lacing his arms together. "I am superior to you in every way. It would hardly be a fair match, even on the mortal realm."

Elijah's lack of response visibly irritates Samael, who is never left without an answer. Elijah's stealing the dominance in the room, challenging one of the strongest beings in existence... testing his authority.

"Why do you not answer me?"

"Because I'm not laughing," Elijah replies. Samael's mouth slims. "You took my life from me, and I intend to fight for it."

Trapped between two wills, I watch them bounce energy off one another in dread. Speaking for Samael diminishes the journey to Hell Elijah's made, but promises our vows are sustained. Speaking for Elijah means jeopardizing everything I've spent over a year protecting. Samael has been waiting for the opportunity to take this man from me.

Only my vow prevents that.

"Cassandra, come here," Samael demands.

I remain firm, eying them both silently from where I stand.

Samael rubs at his temple. "You've made quite the spectacle, coming here, vampire. Interrupting our party. I think I will react in kind." Samael sets his gaze on the nearest demons to him. "Seize him."

The room explodes with noise, sudden chaotic movement. Within seconds, I'm standing guard in front of Elijah's body like a shield, arms extending weapons I materialized to keep the hordes at bay. They hesitate to make a move against me, knowing very easily I could end their immortal life for good.

Surrounded on every side, I glance frantically at Samael, who stares us both down, expressionless. Elijah's hand settles possessively on my waist, and Samael's eyes widen at the insult. With a taunting twinkle in his emerald eyes, Elijah speaks.

"I think she's chosen her side, monsieur."

"If she did, she'd know how quickly I'd retaliate." He pierces me with a formidable glare, to get his point across. "Promises broken have consequences. Your soul is mine, Elijah de Ricci."

"His soul is hers... actually," the omniscient voice beside him interjects, disrupting the hostile air with confession. "And mine."

Samael's head snaps towards his brother, confusion marring every line in his face as he absorbs the meanings woven in those words. Until now, Jehovah had been silently watching chaos break loose. I'd been standing with a sharp dagger to someone's chest, the other one in mid-air for anyone else who might try to catch me off guard. Jehovah's confession makes the entire room deflate with disbelief.