Chapter 11

Julia's point of view:

Silence. An eerie nothingness echoing throughout the house as darkness swallows everything, wrapping around me like a warm blanket. Moonbeams manage to defy the darkness by shining their iridescent light through the window, acting as a guide for me as I carefully make my way to Peter's room.

I carefully open the door and walk gingerly towards him, watching my footing to make sure I don't step on any creaking floorboards.

I can hear his even breathing, telling me he's in a deep sleep. I look down at him, the light from the moon making his face shine like ivory. He looks so content, as if it'd be a sin to wake something so at peace.

But regretfully, I put my hand on his shoulder and shake him gently awake.
"Peter?" I whisper as his eyes flutter open, and he sighs in complaint.
"What is it?" He asks, his voice still thick with sleep. "We've gotta go," I tell him.

He props himself up on one elbow, his messy hair sticking up in a million different directions. "Go where? What are you talking about?" He asks, the tiredness in his tone subsiding.

"Evelyn and Caleb are asleep, so this is our chance to get out of the house and find Henley. It's midnight, and we'll be back before they know it," I tell him.
He gives me a blank stare for a moment, his brown eyes empty of thought.

"Five more minutes," he sighs as he lays back down and plops a pillow over his head.

I tiptoe over to one of his drawers and pull out a black coat and pants, the only clothes around here I've found that aren't grey. "Get dressed and meet me downstairs in five minutes. Be very quiet," I tell him as I leave his room.

Next, I silently make my way down the hall to Cassia's room, the sound of her door squeaking as I ease it open causing me to grit my teeth.

She sleeps soundly under a mountain of blankets, her long blonde hair made white by the moon's light.

"Cassia, wake up," I say as I shake the healer's shoulder.

She regretfully opens her eyes, a sea of blue staring up at me.

"What?" She asks annoyed. "You have to wake up," I tell her again. "Why are you dressed like that?" She asks, gesturing to me.

I wear the outfit we wore years ago for Peter's rescue mission: the black shirt with pieces of armor, jeans, and black boots. I even still have the piece of fabric that gets pulled over the nose to conceal one's facial features.

"We're going to find Henley. There are some black clothes in the drawer that you can wear, but you've got to be downstairs in five minutes," I tell her.
"No need; I brought that outfit, too. I figured you would do something like this eventually," she says with a light laugh. "I'll be ready," she adds, and I leave.

Finally, I go to Adam's room, a bit surprised to see he's still awake with his nose in a book.

"Good, you're up. We're going to-" "You're going after Henley, I presume," he interrupts as he gets out of bed, revealing that he's already dressed in black clothes.

"How did you know?" I ask, dumbfounded. "Because I know you better than you know yourself; I figured you'd pull something like this after your argument with Evelyn, so I decided to prepare," he says, beaming with pride.

I roll my eyes at him, annoyed that he always manages to be one step ahead of me. "Well congratulations. Now let's go," I say.

*********

We meet Cassia and Peter by the door, waiting for us. "Alright let's go," Peter whispers as he reaches for the door.
"No don't!" Adam whispers harshly as he pulls his hand away from the doorknob. "Why not?" I ask.