Chapter Seventeen

"Voice? What voice?" - Hermione Granger

————————————————————————

I couldn't ignore the anxious voices that filled my head for the next several weeks. Cedric was so excited and I didn't want to burst his bubble, but what I had seen in Voldemort's head the night of the Yule Ball had deeply unsettled me.

Cedric was convinced that no harm would come to him on Hogwarts grounds, and since I could not convince him, I decided to try to take my own precautions. Over the past weeks, I had kept a close eye on Cedric's possessions, as the clue hinted that the merpeople would steal something.

I began to grow more confused when nothing went missing, and the more that I thought about it, I had no idea how merpeople would be able to leave the water and steal a possession in the first place. Tonight was the night before the tournament and I still hadn't the foggiest what Cedric actually had to retrieve tomorrow to complete his task.

"Cindy Potter and Hermione Granger?" I looked up to see a first year standing at the doorway of our dormitory. I was very surprised as it was quite late, but I hadn't been able to fall asleep due to my worry.

"Hang on." I muttered.

I swung my legs over the side of my bed and walked over to Hermione's. I shook her gently. "Mione, wake up."

"Huh-Yes?" Hermione answered sleepily, blinking.

"Erm, Professor Dumbledore requests to see the two of you in his office immediately."

Hermione and I shared a look that clearly said "what happened this time". We quickly changed into our robes - although I was tempted to stay in my pajamas - and hurried to Professor Dumbledore's office.

When we arrived, I realized that we were not informed of the password. I stared at the gargoyles. "Uh, sugar quills? Sherbet lemon? Acid pops?" Hermione stared at me like I had lost it. She had clearly never been summoned to the Headmaster's office. "Cockroach clusters!" The gargoyles jumped aside. "After you." Hermione gaped at me before stepping onto the stairs. I joined her on the step and the spiral stair began to rotate.

Even before we reached the top, I could hear that an argument was happening. "Dumbledore! I refuse to allow her to take part in this foolishness."

"Severus, I promise to you that she will be kept safe. The others will be there as well, and there will be enchantments."

"I wouldn't trust that Diggory boy to complete the task properly!"

"Severus-"

I cleared my throat loudly as I stepped off the stairs. Hermione stood behind me awkwardly. Father looked livid. Professor Dumbledore made his way to us. "Thank you both for coming. I will explain everything once Mr. Weasley and Miss Delacour arrive."

"Dumbledore! A word..."

"Severus, we have discussed this-"

"You two are here too?" I quickly turn around to see Ron and a very familiar looking girl from Beauxbatons standing there. They were accompanied by Madame Maxime and Headmaster Karkaroff.

"Surprising that Harry's not here too. Wonder what we're in trouble for now." I joked quietly.

Hermione scowled in worry. "That's not funny, Cindy."

I sighed and waited for Professor Dumbledore to explain. "You are probably wondering why we have summoned you here. You will be assisting us with the second task."