Chapter Sixteen

"Control your emotions! Discipline your mind!" - Severus Snape

————————————————————————

"Let me get this straight. You heard the dark lord in your mind, and instead of using occlumency, you intentionally allowed the connection."

"Father, that isn't the point-"

"Cindy Potter! How many times do I have to tell you how dangerous this is?"

I shut my mouth and stared at father in annoyance. He had basically gone berserk when I told him what had happened and although Cedric offered to stay with me, I told him that I would catch up with him later and reassured him that I would make it back to the common room on one piece. Most of the students had already begun to leave the ball when Cedric escorted me to the dungeons.

"Are you even listening to me?"

"Yes!" I growled in equal annoyance. "Look, I understand, alright? But I heard him saying that he was doing to hurt Cedric to get to me. I won't allow that to happen!"

Father and I glared at each other silently. Finally, he sighed and opened his mouth to speak when someone began to pound at the door. Father stiffened and abruptly stood up. "Go hide in the other room."

"What?"

"Do as I say!" He whispered harshly and walked to the door as the banging became louder. My heart raced as I quickly moved to the connecting bedroom and closed the door, leaning on it.

I heard father opening the door to his office and hiss at whoever was on the other side. "What do you want at this hour?!"

The voice I heard next was very familiar, but I couldn't exactly place it. "It's getting stronger, Severus! It's only a matter of time."

I heard the door slam shut. "Don't come here at this time of night just to tell me this."

"Are you not worried? I know you can feel the mark burning too!" The other person hissed. I froze and slipped, falling against the door in the process.

There was a silence. "You have company."

"No."

"I'm not a fool, Severus! I heard someone. I'll show you..." I heard footsteps approach the door as I ran over to father's bed and crawled under it. The door slammed open, and I curled myself into a ball and crouched against the furthest corner. I could see the person walking around the room, or at least I saw their feet.

It took a moment before it clicked in my mind. Only one person wore boots like that.

Karkaroff.

My eyes widened as he stepped closed to the bed and I covered my mouth and nose so he could hear me breathe. "Found what you were looking for?" Father sneered in irritation.

"I know I heard-"

"There's no one here Karkaroff! You probably heard that dastardly poltergeist knocking something over!" Father stormed back into his office and Karkaroff followed after a moment and closed the door. I waited several moments before slipping out of my hiding spot and walking back to the door to eavesdrop.

"How can you act like you don't care?"

"I have nothing to hide so therefore I have nothing to worry about. Can you say the same?" I could almost hear the sneer in father's tone. I frowned. Nothing to hide? That sounded entirely strange. There was a moment of silence, then: "You need to leave."