Chapter Fourteen

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore

————————————————————————

Father stormed into his office and marched behind the desk before spinning around to face us. "Explain!"

"I was taking a walk-"

"Past curfew!"

"It was still an hour to curfew when I left the common room! I'm sorry, but I lost track of time." I defended.

"Doing what exactly?" At this, he sneered at Draco.

"We were talking." Draco answered quietly and I looked at him in surprise. He was silent until now.

"Talking?" Father repeated in suspicion.

"I saw her leaving the common room an hour before curfew and I needed to talk to Ci-Potter, but we didn't realize how late it was. I was walking her to Gryffindor tower when we were caught. It was an honest mistake, Sir." He stated calmly and both father and I looked at him as if he had grown another head.

Father appeared to compose himself after several moments and grumbled. "Ten points from Gryffindor and Slytherin. Now go back to your common room at once."

"Yes, Sir." We began to leave when father called me back.

"Miss Potter, stay behind." Draco gave me a look of worry for a mere moment before his face went blank again. He quickly hurried out of the office and I sighed and walked back in.

"I'm sorry." I apologized before Father could start. "I swear I lost track of time. We were just talk-"

"Where is Malfoy and who have you replaced him with?"

"Excuse me?" My jaw dropped.

"That boy just took the blame for you and didn't try to make excuses or anything." Father stayed in a flat voice. "The same boy who tortured you for two years and made you cry on multiple occasions last year."

I shrugged. "I haven't done a thing to him. I've hardly spoken to him this year."

We were both silent for a good minute before he spoke in a controlled tone, and it was the absolute last thing that I expected to come out of his mouth. "He really likes you. Perhaps you should give him a chance."

I stared at him in stunned shock before finally remembering to reply. "I can only offer him friendship and I've told him that. I don't like him in that way."

Father's voice softened. "Because of his family?"

"Because of his own choices." I corrected. "While I understand that his family's allegiance makes the situation difficult, the choice is ultimately his." I looked away and added. "And like you've said, he's tormented me for four years."

Father spoke in a quiet, almost unrecognizable voice and refused to meet my gaze. "Do you believe that people deserve second chances?"

I frowned in utter confusion as I still failed to understand why I was having this conversation with him of all people. "Perhaps, but through all this time that he's been tormenting me, Cedric has been by my side. I love him. And by offering friendship, I am giving Draco a second chance. I can't force myself to be with him if he's not the one who I love."

When father spoke again, his tone was one of resignation. "Very well."

I couldn't hold my confusion back any longer. "I thought you always told me to stay away from Draco Malfoy and that he was bad news. I thought you approved of Cedric?" I shouted. "Why are you suddenly saying these things to me? Why are you on his side?"