Chapter 17: Trials

A few minutes earlier

........

After what seemed like hours of testing Midnight finally stepped outside the small black box that had contained the computer he was taking the test on. He stood and stretched annoyed slightly by the discomfort of sitting in the box that was almost too short for him. It certainly cramped his legs to the point they touched the other side of the box when his back was pressed against the wimpy cushion at on the seat back.

He looked around to find the man called Hail who had brought him down to the box for testing. He saw him walking around the corner and walked over to him.

"Are you ready for the next part of the test?" Hail asked joyfully with a wave.

"Is this the part where Lightning said she was going to challenge me? She promised to test me herself." Midnight asked with renewed vigor.

"I don't know if Lightning is still busy with Leadership stuff." Hail said half-heartedly

"Well she promised and it would really be disappointing if she didn't keep her promises. What kind of leader would that make her?" Midnight remarked

Hail scoffed "One who has more important duties than meeting every trainee's challenges? Anyways you interrupted me. I was about to say I would call her and see what she is up to."

"Ok, you do that."

Midnight was a little irked that the man seemed to have no respect for him. He clearly thought Midnight was just some street trash. Midnight paced back and forth as he awaited Hail's answer. He wasn't really that mad if Lightning didn't show, he understood she probably had better things to do, he was just annoyed by Hail's haughty way of saying things. Luckily it wasn't too long before Hail came over and said

"Lightning is done and said she would be on her way...."

"Good riddance! I had hoped she had enough honor to keep her promises." Midnight quipped

Hail stood taller and angrily retorted "Watch your attitude BOY! You are lucky to have Lightning come to personally whoop your butt. She rarely chooses to personally conduct the training, and when she does, it is usually to bust the arrogance bubbles of people like you who think you are too good for the system."

Midnight was taken aback by the standards to which the people closest to Lightning held her to and further upset by the personal arrogance of Hail.

"I think she should have personally tried you then, because it might have helped. You seem to think you are above everyone else here." Midnight replied sarcastically

"You are right, I am above other recruits. I am the grounds training officer. And I admit I can come off as arrogant, but in reality I sometimes struggle to keep control of older men who think that they could run training better than me. And in fact Lightning did personally test me. I was the second best scoring male against her. I admit I was more arrogant when I was younger. I have had a long time to think about things though. Any rate, here she comes, Lightning the fighting master." His tone changed as Lightning entered the room.

"Hey Hail, You missed the fun...." She said with a tilted smile

Hail shrugged, "Most meetings are boring anyway, all statistics this and money needed here. I am actually glad I missed for once. I can actually work with my trainees."

Lightning's grin widened, "Nah, this time you really missed a good surprise."

Lightning took off her trench coat that she had been wearing to reveal her wings to Hail. Hail's eyes grew wide and he began to speak but couldn't.