Chapter 18 - Not a beat

Start from the beginning

"How are we going to avoid doing the same?"

I shrug one shoulder, trying to keep calm in this crazy situation. I put my truck into reverse and back down the driveway. "You're going to manipulate the probability of that happening."

***
When we arrive at the scene, I have to squint to see the hazard lights flashing on Grayson's dark blue sedan. My windshield wipers are on the highest setting, but my vision is still blurred by the droplets of rain continuing to bead up despite rapidly being wiped away.

And then I see it. The car comes into focus: crunched metal meets mud and grass.

"Em?" I begin with a gulp.

She grips onto my hand as I continue to stare at the mess in front of our eyes. "Everything will be okay, Beck. I've got your back."

There's that sinking feeling again.

We bolt out of the truck, and Karsyn immediately emerges from Grayson's side of the car. "Thank God you're here! I don't know what's taking the police so long."

The first thing I notice is the huge gash on Karsyn's forehead slowly bleeding out. Her white sweater has tiny droplets of blood sprinkled across the sleeve.

What if I'm too late to get to Grayson?

Emily gently leads Karsyn away from Grayson's car and assesses her head wound. Meanwhile, I'm internally panicking at the thought of Grayson's fate in my hands.

Where do I even start?

My mind races with possibilities. What would my mom do with my powers? Of all the stories she's told me over the years, there has to be something useful for me to apply in this situation.

She did use her own powers to save Red Raven, her arch nemesis. When he had been struck by lightning, everyone thought he dropped dead. And if it weren't for my mom, he probably would've been dead. Despite the fact that he was trying to drain my mom's powers, she showed compassion and used her own powers to save him. She administered a cardioversion to his chest through her own hands. All she had to do was use her super speed to harness the energy into her hands. It was enough to jolt his heart and make it return to a normal beat.

While I don't have super speed, I do have my own way of harnessing energy.

When I approach the car, I feel a sudden rush of adrenaline. Maybe it's due to the fact that I have a plan, maybe it's because I know Emily's going to do all she can to help me. Whatever it is, it motivates me to sprint towards the driver's side of the car and assess the damage. With the car being flipped upside down, I expect to see Grayson flipped around every which way, but he's still strapped in by his seat belt. I gently open the driver door, and that's when I'm able to see that the side of his head is bruised and blood is trickling down his hairline, into his plaid, button-up shirt.

I know I can't just take him out of the car, because I might make matters worse for his physical condition. One wrong move and he could break more bones than he might have already. The paramedics can help him more than I can in that department. But I can generate enough energy in my hands to emit a blue glow that will zap him back into a state of consciousness. That's all that I can offer him, and I pray to God it works.

"Come on, Grayson." I mutter under my breath before I slide his sleeve up to check his wrist for a pulse. Nothing. Not a beat. While I'm trying to keep my cool, I place my hands on his chest. When the blue glow zaps him, his body jerks against his black leather seat. Startled, I pull away, and he remains still. Again, I tell myself, knowing I have to try my hardest to get him to regain consciousness.