Chapter 18

"This is quite underwhelming, I have to say." Chaeyoung revealed, accompanied by a yawn.

Eunjae snickered slightly at the words as her eyes battled to stay open. "Agreed." She glanced at the princess who, though indoors, swayed as if the force of some wind pushed against her. The girl staggered slightly as she, upon hearing the girl's words, moved towards Eunjae.

"Well you're the ones who refused," Jennie hiccuped, then continued, "to let loose. Not my fault." The young maiden's words were slurred as a lazy, playful grin adorned her lips.

"I hope you drank a lot of water, Jennie, or you're really going to regret this tomorrow."

Apparently, what Jennie had planned for the them and deemed as 'fun' was getting wine-drunk in the depths of the night. Seeing as Eunjae had to be in the proper headspace for tomorrow, she declined the offer. Since Chaeyoung chose not to partake in the activity as well, Jennie had decided to finish the bottle on her own, leaving the two servant girls to essentially babysit the princess.

"Look at me," Chaeyoung gestured to her slim figure and encircled two fingers around the small circumference of her wrist. "Anyone can tell i'm a lightweight. I'd be on the floor after one drink."

This caused a ripple of laughter to take over Jennie, her shoulders exaggeratedly shaking. The woman stumbled a bit before practically falling onto Eunjae who'd been sitting in a chair, taking a seat on her friend's lap and throwing an arm around her shoulders. With a content sigh, she leaned her head on Eunjae's shoulders as her eyelids fluttered shut.

Eunjae met Chaeyoung's gaze. "What should we do with her?"

Chaeyoung regarded the princess whose face still bore a small smile, though her eyes were shut and she seemed oblivious to their words. "I'm not sure, we could probably manage to carry her to her room, though the chances of someone catching us are high."

Eunjae bit her lip in thought. "Ugh, you're right..."

The princess shot up with a burst of energy before her fingers quickly gripped around the long-emptied wine bottle, tilting it upside down to try and catch any lingering drops she'd managed to neglect. "Don't take me back to my room yet! I don't want to be alone...," Seeing as the bottle was empty, and with a frustrated and disappointed groan, she slammed the bottle back onto the table.

Eunjae's expression softened in concern. "Jennie, what's the matter?" Chaeyoung also glanced at the princess with worry.

Jennie childishly pouted as her hazy eyes became glassy. "Nothing! I don't want to talk about it." She crossed her arms defensively as her voice raised.

"Okay, okay, we'll leave it alone." Eunjae relented, not wanting to upset the poor, drunken girl. She sighed in fatigue, rubbing her stinging eyes.

Jennie proceeded to sit directly on the floor before lying down and placing her head atop her hands, as if preparing to turn in for the night right at that spot. Eunjae stood and approached the girl, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder.

"Jennie, if you're tired we can all go to bed." She offered with a soft voice.

Jennie shook her head. "I'm don't want to get up." She obstinately stated.

Eunjae hung her head back in agitation. "Jennie, please make this easier for all of us. You don't want to spend the night on the dirty floor."

The girl's words were ignored as Jennie remained on the cold wood, eyes shut, chest rising and falling with her shallow breaths. Was she asleep? Was she pretending? Eunjae had not the slightest idea.