"Harry?" Jessica's voice tears me out of my thoughts once again, "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"You know, when Sam and I were on our way back here...He whispered some things under his breath...but he talked about you and Stella. He was like saying stuff that you like Stella."

I frown, trying to seem as oblivious as possible, "We're friends, 'course I like her."

"No, like like her."

"So what is your question now?"

Jess sighs. "Harry, I've been friends with Stella for years now and I know how it is. How it's alwys been. I've learned that Stella puts boys under her spell without even trying. It happened to me so many times. I had a crush on a boy and he seemed to like me too and then as soon as he met Stella, he had only eyes for her, so—" Jess rambles and nervously plays with her fingers, "She doesn't even do anything, so really, it's not even her fault. She is just herself and I mean everyone knows what she's like yet—"

"Jess, what are you trying to say?"

"I mean she is hot. You can't deny it and—"

Fuck, why is she getting so insecure about this now?

I stand up from the bed and approach her, stepping so close she has to tilt her head back so she can look at me. Her fingers grasp the belt loops of my jeans shorts.

"Jess, Estelle's just a friend, has never been more, is never going to be more." I lie. I'm officially the worst boyfriend ever. Stella has never been just a friend. One year ago on the night I met her I was absolutely stunned by her. She was so intriguing and days after we met I was still thinking about her but Sam was always swarming around, never allowing any alone time between Stella and I, or any other boy for that matter.

"I love you. you know," She says and leans her head against my chest, "More than anything."

I nod, giving her a kiss on the head, "We should get our stuff out here now. We wanna go to San Francisco today."

"Oh really? Can we go to the beach? I'd love to go to the beach." Jess asks and her eyes are full of life again after our, for her rather depressing, conversation. "I saw this really nice photo on Instagram in front of the Golden Gate Bridge. I really want to take a picture there."

"Sure." I answer shrugging and put her unpacked suitcase onto the bed for her to choose her clothes she wants to change into and help her pack.

+

"Wow, I wouldn't have thought we would ever drive together again." I say when Estelle puts her small suitcase into the small trunk of my car. She rolls her eyes with a quiet laughter. Beth walks over to us and throws her bag into the trunk of my car, too.

"You think I did?" Estelle asks me quietly back, "But they all wanna stop at some shop and the three of us don't, so that's why Sam let me go, I guess."

I nod and walk around the car to the driver's side and Stella over to the passenger's side. Beth opens the door to climb into the backseat but I stop her.

"No smoking in my car." Beth rolls her eyes and throws her cigarette away. We all get in my car and after some adjusting, we follow Sam's car onto the road to get out of Redding.

Every now and then I glance at the rearview mirror and catch Beth wiggling her eyebrows at either Estelle or me. Confused, I turn to Estelle and see her smirking. I narrow my eyebrows.

"Okay, what's with you two?" I ask them and turn to look at Estelle. She shrugs but I hear Beth laughing.

"Noth—" Estelle starts but gets interrupted by Beth.