20~Riddle Solving Part 1

The days had passed by as Kaito and Shinichi spent their time together with their normal lives, waiting patiently for the right moment to take action. Shinichi solved some minor cases when he had the time as he waited for Nakamori-keibu to reach out to him and attempt to solve the riddle while Kaito spent his time doing small shows while he continued to visit Shinichi's place. 

~Shinichi's POV~ 

I lay down on my bed as I looked at the door, my eyes wandering aimlessly as I thought about the past couple of days. 

(I really need to stop bumping into different cases all the time...) 

" I guess Megure-keibu was right when he said that I am cursed...always being followed by dead bodies and murder incidents." I sighed deeply as I continued to stare at the door with a blank expression on my face. 

I suddenly heard a crash downstairs as I lazily went to check if a certain someone entered my house. 

I groaned  as I as greeted by the sight of the magician near a messy pile of books. 

" Good afternoon to you, Shinichi." Kaito greeted me with an embarrassed expression on his face. 

" Didn't I already tell you that you can enter my house like any other normal person?" I said to him as I fought the urge to punch him in the face. 

" You know I can't do that, I might get caught by someone. It would be suspicious, especially since Hakuba thinks that I'm Kaito Kid." He explained while cleaning  up the mess he made. 

" Then why not disguise yourself?" I asked him in annoyance. 

" It takes too much time." Kaito replied plainly as he finished organizing the books on the shelf. 

" By the way, Ran-chan was asking if Conan will be spending more time with the professor and Haibara-chan." He mentioned casually as he sat on the couch. 

" Well...it seems that I need to be Conan again. I'll be right back." I said to him as I quickly transformed myself into Conan and wore my usual attire as Conan. 

(That was fast. I guess my body got used to switching between two different forms.) 

I went back to the library room as I saw Kaito  laying down on the couch with a bored expression on his face. 

"So..do you want to do something today?" I asked the magician as I adjusted my glasses. 

He shot his head up as he looked at me with excitement filled in his eyes. 

(Heh, you are easy to get excited.) 

"What are we gonna do today Conan-kun?" He asked me with a smirk on his face. 

" We're going to visit the police station." I replied to him with confidence. 

"Wait, in that form? We're gonna go there while you're stuck as Conan for today?" Kaito looked at me with uncertainty. 

"Don't worry, I have a plan. Just remember to act natural." I reassured him with a smile. 

We proceeded to go to the station when we saw Hakuba about to pass by us before he abruptly stopped and looked at Kaito with a surprised expression on his face. 

"Kaito, it's odd to see you in these parts." Hakuba said as he looked at me curiously. 

"You must be Conan-kun, how was everything with Mouri Kogoro-san?" The British detective said as he knelt down towards me. 

"Everything is great but Ojii-san doesn't seem to be great today. The last time I saw him he was very busy." I replied in a child-like manner. 

Kaito did his best to keep a straight face as I tried to keep my composure in front of Hakuba. 

(Kaito, I swear to God I'm gonna kill you after this.) 

"Hmm....I see...I guess it isn't the right time to call him." Hakuba muttered to himself. 

"Did something happen?" Kaito asked Hakuba as he looked at me. 

" Kaito Kid has sent two heist cards to the police station without anyone noticing and the worst part is that we couldn't solve any of the riddles for weeks..." Hakuba said as he gritted his teeth. 

"Well...he is Kaito Kid. I highly doubt that any of his riddles are easy." Kaito said in a condescending manner. 

"Whatever, Kaito Kid fanboy." Hakuba spatted out. 

(Wow, things are really intense between the two of them..not that I can say the same with the two of us...) 

" Kaito nii-san, what about Shinichi nii-san? He doesn't seem to be busy." I mentioned with enthusiasm. 

"That's a great idea Conan-kun!" Kaito said cheerfully. 

Hakuba thanked both of us as he rushed back to the police station to attempt to call Kudo Shinichi. 

"That was very clever, metantei-kun." Kaito said with a smirk. 

"That's just the beginning." I said with confidence as I heard a buzzing sound on my phone. 

I picked up my phone and adjusted the knobs on my bow tie as I looked at the magician. 

"Moshi moshi, Kudo speaking.Oh! Hakuba, what is it? Hmm...is that so..alright, I'll go there when I have the time." I said as I ended the call and put the phone back in my pocket. 

"So that's how you change your voice. I was wondering about that for quite some time now." Kaito looked at me with amazement. 

We continued to look around the place before heading back to my house. 

I walked straight towards the library room and lied on the couch as I stretched my arms and legs. 

"Man, it has been a long day..." The magician said as he sat on the floor and rested his head on the couch. 

I simply nodded as I buried my face between the cushions of the couch. 

"I'll have to wait again before I can go to the station. It would be too suspicious if I just suddenly show up tomorrow like I have been anticipating about it." I muttered to myself. 

I looked at Kaito as the magician cuddles a pillow while leaning closer to the couch. 

(He looks so peaceful when he is resting...) 
I gazed at him for a moment before sitting up and thought about how I should solve the riddle. 

(There are different ways for me to solve the riddle but...I shouldn't give away too much information.) 

Kaito looked up at me as he held his pillow tightly. 

"Hey Shinichi, do you worry sometimes about having two identities...and that you can't really change anything about it even to the point that you don't know which is the real you..?" Kaito asked softly.  

(What's with the serious question all of a sudden? He looks sad..yet he still looks calm and serious...)  

I thought about it for a moment before looking back at the magician.

"All the time, so many times that I've lost count of it. You just really don't need to think about it too much...because at the end of the day...those two identities is still you either way." 

I looked at Kaito with a smile as I cheered him up and comforted him through out the night.