17

"Oh, my son, glad for you to join us." mayor Andrew says to Jay. Jay and I look at each other; we both are not dressed for the occasion. I'm still wearing a short skirt and tube top and him in khakis and a shirt. What were we thinking about coming here? This is a formal dinner.

"Good thing you brought Alexandra, her parents were worried." He sways his hand beckoning us to come in turning from us and walking inside.

I look at Jay, worried.

"What's the story?" I ask, knowing I have no idea what my excuse will be for being late to this, and worst, dressing like this to it.

"I got it, just go with it." He tells me as he follows mayor Andrew inside. When we walk in thankfully, everyone is too busy either dancing or at the open bar to notice our interest. My only goal right now is to find my parents and let them know I'm okay so I can leave. "Alexandra!" I hear my mom yell approaching me. She immediately puts her shaw over me as if that will distract everyone from my out of place outfit.

"Where is your dress? Why are you so late? Where were you?" She says the last part was quietly eyeing Jay while doing so.

Before Jay and I can say anything, Daniel approaches us.

But it isn't just Daniel, its Darthy too. They are matching, him in a blue tie and her tight, revealing blue dress. I could almost throw up.

"Oh, Alexandra, I didn't think you were going to come." Daniel sounds somewhat genuine, but the satisfying look on Darthy's face shadows it all.

"Nice...outfit." Darthy sneers.

I am so embarrassed, and it's not even the fact that I'm seeing Daniel and Darthy together, because I have obviously seen it or heard about it a million times before. It's the fact that I look so dull while my ex is just all dolled up with his new thing.

Before I can allow my thoughts to overwhelm me more, Jay speaks.

"Sorry for keeping her so long." I almost choke on my breath; what is he doing?

I see Daniel let go of Darthy, furrowing his eyebrows. Darthy notices and looks up at him, hurt at his reaction to Jay's statement. My mother's eyes go wide, gritting her teeth, anticipating Jay's next words.

"What, bro?" Daniel's eyes go wild, fire is all I see. I have never seen this much emotion from him until now. Is this what it took?

This whole thing is about to blow up in my face, I knew it.

He's going to tell him we went on a date, he's going to tell them everything.

"You know I dropped out of college, Alex was helping me with Chemistry."

"Yes." I innocently agree. That's a perfect cover up.

Daniel coughs, "Oh, yeah." Flames still in his eyes. What's wrong with that response?

"Yeah she's amazing, I never knew," Jay says under his breath, but no one seems to notice except Daniel and I , before the situation could escalate Jay walks away with a smug look on his face.

I look at Daniel and smile then send one Darthys way as I go towards the dining table. I had a great time with Jay despite the events that occurred. I wish that we could just run away and be in our own world. Apart from our problems, a world where we didn't have to confront anyone about our situation, a world where we could be free.

But this is a reality, I'm in high school, and I got into Stanford and Jay is a famous fighter in Europe that I just found out about.

Life is crazy.