Chapter 1

Present

"Shut up!" I shout at my alarm when it rings for the hundredth time, but then clamp a hand over my mouth, realising it's early and that my family are still asleep.

I'm hyperventilating, I know that, yet I still check myself in the mirror again for the hundredth time in what feels like minutes but is actually hours: I've got my jet black jeans on with a baggy blue sweater top. I put my padded cream coat on which reaches mid-thigh, and then finally put on the most important thing; my glasses.

I hate wearing glasses, but I'm blind, plus my medication makes my vision worse. However, that's life for you; you can't have it all.

As much as I love my long shield, it sure is a hassle to comb. It's up to my hips and it has a tint of auburn in it, but you can only really tell in the sun — which is very very rarely because I live in England and it's always raining here.

Talking about rain, have I checked the weather today? What if the sun suddenly decides to come out? My coat will turn me into toast, and I hate wearing jeans without my ass being covered. Guys in high school used to touch my ass without my permission, it's why I decided to wear a skirt — so they wouldn't be so enticed if it was covered. It worked for the most part.

I know I shouldn't cover myself because of stupid hormonal boys that can't keep their hands to themselves, but it mentally affects me, so I do. I hope a day comes where I can without the fear of being touched without my consent.

I make it to college on time. However, I'm so nervous I'm shaking. I was the only one who got off the bus along with some other girl, but I didn't know who she was.

Kenzie said to meet her at the bus stop, but knowing her she'll probably be late. She made me be late for the experience day as well.

Kenzie is my friend from high school, we were in the same English class for a year and a half and she would always make sure I was alright. Which sometimes annoyed me because I hated — hate pitty, but she has a kind heart so I pressed my annoyance, because I knew she was just looking out for me. Not that I wanted it.

I'm so lost in thought, that I don't see that Kenzie's right in front of me, tugging my headphones out of my ear and pulling me in for a bear hug.

"I missed you," she squeals in my ear, then pulls me back by my shoulders, a big smile playing across her slender glossy lips as she looks me over.

I return her smile. "I missed you too beautiful."

A loud car honk makes me jump and look over Kenzie's shoulder; In a black slightly beat up Corsa two guys are staring at us.

Kenzie shouts over her shoulder, "I'm coming!"

I cock my head, confused. She knows them?

She gives me a nervous smile. "My brother and his friend agreed to take us to Starbucks to get a drink before college." She hesitates for a second. "Please come."

Another ear-splitting honk rips through the air, making a small squeal escape my lips. I'm already nervous and panicky as it is, and the loud noises are making it worse.

Kenzie turns around rolling her eyes and screams, "one minute Kyron!"

Turning back to me, she tightens her grip on my shoulders and pleads in a cute little voice, "please!"

"I don't know." I shrug. I can't just get into a car with strangers. What if they kidnap me. Ok, my anxiety is on high alert this morning.

"Pretty please," she begs.