Cassian Jr.

(Cassian's POV)(Nesta-Cassian)

     He lounged against the couch, his wings draped lazily over the edge and his head tipped back against the back cushion. He was half-asleep after a month-long trip to Windhaven with Rhys and Azriel. They had all just returned to find Feyre and Elain made a feast for them and set up a night of calm and collected chatting. 

     Cassian was beyond relieved to spend the night in his own bed tonight, after those agonizingly long weeks at the camp. He was also sure Rhys was even more eager to sleep beside his mate. 

     They were all stuffed full and exhausted to the point of no return. Even Azriel was half-asleep, draping over the chair to his right and snoring beneath his breath. The shadowsinger hadn't opened his eyes in the hours they'd spent laughing and talking in the living room after dinner. Rhys had even nudged him once out of curiosity and a soft snore was the only confirmation that the bat was still alive. 

      "I invited Nesta but I presume she won't come," Feyre muttered in a drowsy voice. She'd just finished tidying the kitchen and washing the dishes. Rhys pulled her into him and cradled her head against his chest. His lips found her nose and eyelids. 

     "Not unless you offered her money," Rhysand said in barely a whisper. Feyre snorted but didn't seem to have the confidence in denying the statement. Cassian's heart clenched. He hadn't seen her in months. 

      "She might...if so I'll keep her company," Elain piped up but Cassian was sure the Archeron sister would be falling asleep any minute. She'd worked just as hard as Feyre and the unmistakable fluttering of her eyes hinted at fatigue. 

     Cassian would've fallen asleep himself had Elain not kept brushing herself against his wings and waking him. He couldn't tell if she was just interested or if she was so tired she couldn't keep her body from tilting into him. Either way, he was sure she didn't understand. 

     "She wouldn't come this late. Probably already drunk or passed out at home." Cassian kept himself from defending her. He often found himself doing so lately, even though he knew Rhys was right and she most likely was passed out at home or partying with drunk males at the bar downtown. 

     "Has anyone seen her lately?" Cassian asked. He wasn't sure anyone had seen her in months. The months he'd stopped protecting her, following her home every night and waiting at her window until she blew out her candle at night. 

     "No...I tried bringing some muffins I'd made to her apartment but she wouldn't open the door. Just yelled at me to leave them in the hall." Elain's words concerned Cassian. Had she loathed them so much to the point she wouldn't even open the door? For Elain...the only person Cassian was sure Nesta loved dearly. 

     He had ruined that. It was his fault Nesta wouldn't face any of them. 

     "Quite worrying. She probably just had a male over and didn't want Elain to see." Jealousy erupted in Cassian's chest. He held onto his restrains and let his fists unclench. Cassian arched his back forward and rested his elbows on his knees. 

     His eyes locked onto Rhys's. Something in Rhysands gaze softened towards him. Rhys had been the only one Cassian had told about that night with Nesta. The night that had ruined everything between them. "We should all get some just get some rest-" Feyre began. 

     She was cut off when a furious knock rattled the entire house. Feyre startled and Elain jumped up, shock riddled on her soft features. 

     Cassian knew who it was immediately. Her smell. Her heartbeat and the way her breathing picked up when she heard Rhys approaching the door. Nesta. Just having her name roll against his mind had him shifting uncomfortably in his seat.