Chapter 7: Currents

Start from the beginning

Just then, Danny threw himself forward and then started vomiting all over the floor. Scott and Sabrina's eyes went to it and noticed a certain flower that he was barfing up.

"Mistletoe," Ethan muttered out loud.

++++++

Melissa started to wheel Danny into the operating room with Scott, Sabrina and Ethan following right behind her.

"Can you three please go back to the waiting room?" she asked them but they just kept her following her until she moved Danny to his spot.

"Where are the nurses and doctors? Where is everyone?" Ethan frantically asked her.

"It's a full house tonight. They're tending to other patients," she explained to him. "Okay. Well, mom how can we help?" Scott asked. "Yeah, we can help," Sabrina said. "Honey, you two can't. His lung is collapsed. His heart is being pushed against his chest cavity now-"

Sabrina's face fell. "He's gonna die, isn't he?"

She looked over at her daughter's face and her own's hardened. "No. No, he's not. Okay, Scott, you grab the tape," she said to him before turning to Ethan. "You grab those scissors and cut his shirt open." She then turned to Sabrina. "You hold his hand because this will hurt." As they raced to do what she said, Melissa went over and grabbed a large syringe. "Okay," she muttered.

"Mom, he's not breathing," Sabrina said with a cracked voice.

"I know, I know. Okay."

She then moved to pierce his lung with the syringe and then started to run a small tube into him in order to gently let air out so that he would be able to breathe. Danny was starting to settle and they could hear the sound of him steadily breathing again as his face softened and he no longer looked like he was in pain. That got all of them to breathe lighter as well.

Danny opened his eyes and looked up at her. "Thank you."

"No problem," Melissa smiled down on him. She then noticed Scott, Sabrina and Ethan looking intensely at her. "What?"  

"That was awesome," Scott and Sabrina said completely mystified. Ethan nodded.

"It was no problem, you know? I mean, it wasn't a big deal," she said dismissively.

++++++

Scott and Sabrina were leaving the hospital and just made it to his bike when Ethan ran and caught up to them. He was holding his hands up to show that he came in peace.  

"I know you two are not going to believe me but I didn't do anything."

The twins actually did believe that. But, that didn't mean they believed that Ethan was in the clear. "All we know is that the minute that you got here, you went right for Danny. And your brother went for Lydia."

Ethan shook his head. "We're not gonna hurt him."

"Why should we believe you?" Scott shot back.

"Because we knew one of them was gonna be important to you two, and now we know it's Lydia."

Sabrina stepped forward to Ethan and pointed her finger at him. "Listen here, if you and your brother hurt Lydia, I will not hesitate to rip your throat out." 

Scott was about to move in-between Sabrina and Ethan but couldn't when his eyes were drawn to a car's headlights that were darting left and right as the car wasn't moving straight. He narrowed his eyes at it just before it went and crashed into a parked car. Scott ran over to see if the driver was okay but opened the door to see that the car was empty. There didn't seem to be any sign of anyone but he froze when he noticed something.